Monday, January 29, 2007

I wish I could sing

Well, it was a good weekend and now it's gone. Almost time to go to work and do my presentation--about what exactly, I don't know yet. The Training Manager was writing it over the weekend and I haven't seen it.

Friday night I went out for the third time in a row but this one was by far the most fun. The first two were with co-workers and the last, a birthday party with friends, so it's no surprise that it was the best. Houseguest's man turned 50 so we got him a bunch of gag gifts (and some nice ones, too). Houseguest got a large cake and brought it to the little country bar and everyone had some. It made for a pretty jolly atmosphere.

SLA and Houseguest are both heavily into karaoke and they both can sing so well. They each sang individually many times and sang some songs together, and as always, they made the non-singing two of us get up there too. I can't carry a tune, especially with karaoke when there's just the background music and no melody to help. I also don't seem to know any song well enough to be able to follow along fast enough! So my singing is a total disaster and I try to do it as seldom as possible.

SLA and Houseguest used to insist that anyone can sing--they don't say that anymore, ha ha! But they both had choir in high school, and I'm wondering if I could possibly learn to sing better? Of course almost anything would be an improvement. Even if I just learned a song or two I would feel better. Singing is a discipline that I've never really gotten into. Oh sure, I sing along in the car (by myself) and all, but am careless about really learning the lyrics and anything but the refrain. I could work at it even a little more and improve, just a tiny little bit, do you think?

Can you sing karaoke? And do you enjoy doing it? My friends said that with a couple more drinks I might have been better, but that's not true. I would have sung even worse (if such a thing was possible) but thought I was doing OK!

11 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I only sing karaoke when I've had too much to drink...:)

It helps if my audience has had too much to drink too. I sound MUCH better that way! :)

6:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't sing in public. I sing in the car, like you, or occasionally at home when I'm alone.

I was in choir and always loved singing, but I'm pretty much tone deaf, so it never made a difference.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I've actually been requested to NOT sing. Yeah, I'm that bad. It's really a shame too because I would love to be able to sing.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When they started bringing in a karaoke machine (early 90's) to the corner pub where I lived...Oh, I didn't actually live there but I had my own table and could be found there when the sun was up or down.

Anyhoo, I got up to sing and was: booed off. How rude. Then again, I've sang and people got up to dance and they didn't even know me. So, I don't know if I "can" karaoke but I've been known to try.

1:00 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I'm awful at it, which I think is part of the fun. What I lack in ability, I make up for in theatrics.
I bet anyone can become a BETTER singer, but not everyone can become a whitney houston (before the crack) or something like that.

1:53 PM  
Blogger utenzi said...

Karaoke is not something I would want to do. My voice is bad!

Everyone could learn to sing somewhat. The Hollywood stars manage even when they have no talent for it--but of course they had vocal coaches and all that.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

did you see "My Best Friend's Wedding" ? it has the absolute best karaoke scene in it. It made me want to adopt Cameron Diaz.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Ha ha ha
Me sing
That would make the US call all the troops back and invade Canada if I didnt that LMAO

It's all about having fun and it sounds like you had a ball

7:20 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I've had one go at karaoke, and it wasn't pretty. Although I can theoretically carry a tune, my voice doesn't always obey me. I figure you can either carry a tune or not though. It's jst one of those things. If you can't, well keep on enjoying singing to your self in the car.

8:04 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Poor thing...they should have left you alone...but I guess they wanted to include you in their fun. Things like that aren't fun if you aren't up to it. But sounds like they had a super time.

3:59 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Part of the fun of karaoke is not being able to sing :o)
I can carry a tune, granted i'm no broadway star, and even less of one after a drink or 2!

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home