Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Expiration dates

I was just looking in the refrigerator for something to bring to work for lunch today. I always carry my lunch. Some co-workers always buys theirs. I find the topic of how people use their money very interesting! I'd imagine there are ways that I spend my money that would look spendthrift to others, too.

Anyway, the meatloaf has gone bad so I threw it out. Well, not really really bad but it's "tired" as my Mom would say. She wouldn't have thrown it out, though. We used to use up any and all food unless it actually had mold on it. And even then I swear she scraped or cut that part off and served it anyway! I've only now, in the past year, got her to throw out ten year old frozen goods and 30 year old spices!

I can see this cooking mania may literally turn bad on me! I liked that meatloaf, it was really good. Hopefully nothing else is turning in there. Have a good Monday--nope, it's Tuesday, thank goodness!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thirty-year old spices? Shoot! They had another couple of decades in 'em, didn't they? : ) My spice "spinner" is at least 10 years old and only the cinnamon gets promptly-used. I've used buttermilk that's 4 months past its expiration date. You just shake it up and cook it. My father will still drink it. ::shudders::

7:47 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Maybe I should go clean my fridge out.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

The good thing about living with three boys and a husband is that they're all like gannets and I hardly ever have to throw any food away.

Except fresh fruit. Of course!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Meatloaf is great for a serving or two and then to store in the freezer for when needed ... or recalled.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, I just looked in my fridge!! I usually take lunch to work too.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

MMMmmmmm meatloaf :o)

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home