Monday, January 15, 2007

Happy Birthday, and a day off from work

Happy Birthday to Son Sandwich. It's his birthday today and I have gingersnaps done already this morning and Red Lobster Biscuits in the oven (two of his favorites.) He's not into cake, but if I feel really ambitious I might make a pie. I also need to wrap up the ski bibs, wool socks and $49 ski gloves I got him as birthday presents.

Every year on this day I review the day of his birth. When he was younger, I would take out his baby book and show him all the photos we took in the hospital (we didn't take any of the actual birth, ugh!)just nice heart-warming pictures of smiling, happy people. At 4:30 AM my water broke, that was very early back then, although I often get up that time now. It was really cold in the house. Our little oil stove had gone off in the night. My (now ex) husband got up and was tinkering around with it. I was hungry, so even though the baby book said not to eat any more solid food after the water breaks, I made a good sized breakfast of eggs and ham. I really regretted doing that later in the day, but it did warm the house and us up a little. Just like I'm baking and drying the laundry to warm up the house this morning!

Brief pause: the biscuits were done and I had to go and brush melted butter and garlic on them.

Husband was messing with the stove, trying to get it to work and getting our old clunker of a car started to go to the hospital. It all was surreal at that point (but became all too real later!) that this was the day we were going to have a new member of the family. I wasn't having contractions and didn't want to go to the hospital too early, so we went around 1:00 PM or so, after the oil service guy came and fixed our stove.

The birth event was very much how my Mom had me: two weeks overdue, induced birth, breech, foreceps, baby with slight (temporary) facial deformity from foreceps, except he was a large baby and I was only 6 pounds. It's been a long road from that day until today. It's hard for a parent to visualize, when holding their brand-new baby in their arms, the man or woman that little baby will grow up to be!

That day changed my life, of course, having a child does that. Even though we were poor and came through so much, it's been a great journey and he's grown up to be an admirable young man. Happy Happy Birthday to my Son Sandwich!

6 Comments:

Blogger katie said...

Happy Birthday to your son!!

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Became-a-mom Day to you! It's my mother's bday. She always says, "The King and Queen."

11:49 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Happy Birthday to your Son..

5:09 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Happy Birthday to your son!!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Happy Birthday to your Son :)

1:13 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awww, PBS, that was lovely, what a grand mum you are :o)
Happy Birthday Sandwich Son :o)

5:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home