Friday, January 19, 2007

Instant Human. Just Add Coffee

I broke my very favorite coffee cup. I seldom (can’t say never now, can I?) break dishes. This was a brand new cup that I got from the Smithsonian Space Museum when I went to DC early in December. I’d bought it as a Christmas gift for a friend, but liked it so well that I kept it for myself and gave her other things.

But I didn’t have it for long. I was in a hurry, like I am every work morning and was reaching out from another room to put the cup on the kitchen cabinet. I missed and the cup hit the floor with such force that it shattered everywhere, and I had bare feet. The cup was a beautiful art-y design and had written on the side:

Instant Human. Just Add Coffee.

The temp at work was telling me about how she had made this beautiful “Eye of God” weaving to give to a friend, but liked it so well that she kept it for herself. When it got ruined shortly afterwards, her mother told her it was because she selfishly kept it instead of giving it away. The temp asked me if I believed what her mother had said. So I told her about my short-lived favorite coffee cup! Has that ever happened to you; have you broken something that you got for a gift but kept for yourself? Just curious if this is a weird coincidence or something more common.

Well, today is Friday and no surprise, I'm glad. Have a good day and a wonderful weekend!

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I can't say i've ever had that happen to me.

Lordy, how rude she is! It would never cross my mind to eat..drink...use even, anything on a desk i was sharing, when i knew it was the co workers property. Jeeez, i think she has some nerve!!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I can't recall that "curse" ever happening to me...but it probably has at one time or another!

And that would've really ticked me off if someone in my office would've eaten my stash...ESPECIALLY chocolate! The least she could've done was ASK first, you know???

Ah well, hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

(WOW...my word verification this morning had a VERY BAD word in it!!!) :)

7:03 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I sort of had this happen just this week, except in reverse. I was the one that didn't get the thing. A long time ago my BIL was working for a large grocery chain so Hot Rod asked him if he could get a lighted Fat Tire sign. Well he did...and then liked it so much that they kept it. Now that my sister and he are moving in our rent house there isn't room for the sign so they were finally going to give it to us for our gameroom...well you guessed it...it broke on the way over to my house. Such is life.

As far as the temp eating your chocolate...isn't there some sort of girl law about that? I mean come on...a woman's chocolate is a very private, very special thing. She needs to be kicked out of the girl club for sure!

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know someone who could use a mug with that saying on it.

Maybe you should have bought two. One to keep, one to give away.

Thanks for stopping by my neck of the woods (I hope Al Roker doesn't have a copyright on that phrase or I'm going to owe him a lot of money. LOL)

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I’m very proprietary and eating my chocolate stash would not a friend make! I’ve thought about that kind of “breaking/ loss” due to selfishness before. Like my wallet being recently stolen? I actually thought, “It has been a terrible year and this marks the end.” Like I had to get all of that “bad karma” out (no such thing but you know what I mean?

11:28 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

The Temp was bang out of order.How rude!

The curse sort of happened in a different sort of way for me. I bought a silk hanging that I absolutely loved. It was a little bit expensive and was an really extravagent thing for me to do. I convinced myself that it was for my best friend at Christmas. I would have spent that amount of money on her. However when Christmas came I could not part with it and so hid it at the back of my draw embarrassed to get it out!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hope you eat some chocolate this weekend.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

May I suggest wrapping pieces of chocolate exlax with Kisses wrappers and put them in your drawer which is private :P

I have almost everythign people have given me except a couple of hundred colds and flus.

I am not supersticious or that religious, I just wear every religious and satanic symbol around my neck becausae I need the extra weight.
Have a great weekend

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home