Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Wanted: A few good spiders

Where have all the spiders gone? Gee, that could be a song. My house has had a sudden and unsavory influx of flies. And not a spider to be found, and they are so efficient at keeping flies and plant bugs at bay. My plants have never had bugs. When we first moved here we had the most beautiful golden spiders, but they were outside on the two decks. I had never seen spiders of that strange, beige color, and there were many of them in different sizes. I had a favorite one who lived on a (outside) window in the living room. I could watch him while sitting on the couch. But now that it's gotten colder, there's not a spider to be seen; the flies have come instead.

Isn't it only country houses that get flies at certain times of the year? But I have to admit it's been fun to stalk and swat them. I especially like to dim the lights and try to make out their shapes in the semi-darkness. It helps for sneaking up on them too, as they quickly got wise about avoiding anyone with a fly swatter. Do you think a large spider shape (just in time for Halloween!) would scare them off? Something that would work like a scare crow or an owl shape to scare birds from the garden.

Speaking of Halloween, a few days ago I received our shipment of candy. There are gummi-ghosts, oozing eyeballs, sweet-tart bones, mummy lollipops and other shapes. My son's girlfriend wants to help me hand out candy. The trouble is we don't know how many kids come treat-or-treating in this neighborhood. I need to ask one of my neighbors but nobody has been outside much in all the cold rain we have been going lately. I hope some kids come, as it's fun to see the costumes and then they can enjoy an oozing eyeball--which are very tasty.

Are you ready for Halloween yet, do you give out candy and how much do you need to buy?

16 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

We don't do Hallowe'en here. They didn't do it in Australia either despite the shops all pushing Hallowe'en costumes at the kids and that.

I have an influx of Spiders that I'd happily ship over but I'm not sure about Swiss Post and livestock! ;-)

5:48 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

We don't do Halloween here. Alot of the big shops try and push it and some kids do go aorund the streets but it is not a big event like it is for you. I work in a Church school and I don't think we can even mention it! I keep meaning to check it out. Another school I was in would not let us celebrate it

5:59 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

We hardly EVER get any trick-or-treaters...but then, we don't live in a very good neighborhood either. if I had kid, I would not let them trick-or-treat in my neighborhood...isn't that sad!!!

Anyway, I have no idea what we're doing for Halloween yet. :)

7:50 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Weird that you mentioned spiders, me and my co-worker ended up chasing this huge fricken spider all over the place last night, shuddering and skeeving.

I never saw such huge spiders in my life as they are down here.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I don't get any trick-or-treaters. :( I wish I did but I think my neighborhood is not the best since it's basically out in the country and it's gone downhill lately as well.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We could ship you a few boxes of spiders. They're still around here for the time being.

Based on our one experience last here, we'll get about two hundred trick-or-treaters, but I think we're set already.

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate spiders!!! They scare me!! We usually have a few trick or treaters but to be honest I always forget about it so I've never got anything in to give so I just don't open the door! Mind you most of the kids round here only want your money & one year when I did open the door they hadn't even bothered to dress up!

1:28 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I have the same problem as Aims. One year a Dad stood at the gate and checked the kids bags and took any money out....it was a form f begging. I didn;t give anything mind you it was the next door neighbours who gave the food

3:49 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I am to Hallowe'en as the Grinch is to Christmas.

7:31 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Not ready yet. I have to get some pumpkins closer to the date because I paint them...cartoon faces etc. I did it every year where I last worked and it just became a tradition that was looked forward to. This year I am going to do it for a friend's party for her grandchildren. I'm going to bake shortbread type sugar cookies of pumpkin shape and then decorate with royal icing and write their names on them. They'll be baked on a cookie stick...and then I'm going to place them in an oblong basket all decorated appropriately with the cookies in a line in the basket. Sort of a centerpiece for the evening. Around the base where the cookies will be stuck in the green flower foam stuff...I'll put the black, white and orange crumpled nesting paper that is sold in the craft stores and then dump candy for them underneath the cookies. And if the little beggars don't like it...I'll hop on my broomstick and make them sorry!

2:10 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I never get trick or treaters, but I always get candy, just in case! Oozing eyeballs do sound delish.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Bennu said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I have lots of plants 28 at last count and i dont have bug problems if you dont include people calling me for surveys or to tell me I won a trip for the pricce of the trip.
I have spiders in my basement and they are welcome to live there and keep the bloody millapedes under control.

I decorate a bit for Halloween and give out junky food to the kids every year but xmas is when i go all out.
Sorry that was me that deleted that comment

1:54 PM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

We just moved here too so I have absolutely no idea how much to buy. We never get candy anywhere nearly as cool as what you've got hough! Where did you get it?

Of course, it isn't really a problem when there's leftovers is it?

9:44 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

We don't do Halloween here, although i have noticed some stores with lots of different goodies in them.
PBS, i have the opposite, spiders everywhere. I think i may parcel some up and send them over to you!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Lifecruiser said...

Spiders... Hm. Last winter we had a pet spider here, we even named him Basil... He was very friendly and wanted to be where we were, he were following us.

Luckily he didn't get that big ;-)

If it's small flies it could come from the soil if you're having any indoor plants. You can get rid of them by getting some small micro organisms called Nematodes to water to the soil. They'll eat the eggs of the flies.

Mrs Lifecruiser.com

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home