Thursday, September 28, 2006

She's baaaack

It just gets worse and worse, even though I keep hoping things will change. No, I don't mean ND, although she came back with more questions while I was discussing a work project with favorite co-worker. And yes, they were stupid asked-them-already-several-times-type of questions.

It's a cold, cruel work-world for older workers. Well, it's bad for everyone but especially for older workers, of which I am one. I'm starting to see that they/I have a lot to be bitter about. I come in early, work late, work hard, almost never call in sick, have a huge workload, do a fantastic job (as occasionally said by others, not just myself, ha ha!) and what do I get? Just listen to this, I'm so angry that I'm actually dizzy. This is not helping my health or borderline high blood pressure--which I keep in check by diet--by not using salt.

First: I was promised an office in the new space. I specifically asked about it and was reassured that we ALL were getting an office. But that, as you know, has long since changed so I will be sitting on display in the front to be the receptionist.

Second: We hired a new obnoxious co-worker on July 26, so I had to move to the front early.

Third: Yesterday we had a meeting with only part of our "work team" (as they call it). The training manager, favorite co-worker, the IT guy and I met to discuss storage space in the new office. It seems there really isn't any! Now if the IT guy, who is the sole mastermind of the new office space have asked for input much earlier from us three other co-workers, that would not have happened. So he was quite on the defensive, which leads to the fourth and most horrible recent development;

Fourth: I don't know if it's because he (IT guy) is now irritated with me because of (his own fault) lack of storage space--but he's going to GIVE THE TEMP HER OWN OFFICE!

So how in the f'k'g hell is that going to work? I, the receptionist (visibly the lowest position, no door, no privacy, constant interruptions) is going to supervise the girl in the office, with a door and a lakeview window? OMG, I was so angry that I swear I saw some stars!

They couldn't find any office space for me, the long-time, loyal worker but can find a nice private office for---the temp?

As I mentioned in a previous post, having a temp helper is always a mixed blessing. They want your job. They go behind your back to cozy up to your co-workers. Sometimes they even try to make you look bad so they can climb over your aged and bruised body.

Yep, work is cruel to us older people. The temp is, of course twenty years old, overly confident, brash and yes, pretty cute. She has the notion that she can do anything, but then does it wrong, re-does the work, and it's still not quite right. And I'm going to have a heck of a time supervising her if she gets her own office while I'm sitting in the front! She's really good, for a temp, but constantly cuts corners and doesn't do things the way I ask her to do them. A-huh, this is going to be really fun....

9 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

OMG, i'd be steamed too, how rude!! Geeez, talk about making someone feel invaluable :(

7:16 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

How interesting. Here's a Venus/Mars example in your comments. Michelle validated your feelings while h&b wants to fix things. It's quite clear, isn't it? This is a fundamental difference in men and women.

Anyway, I do hope things improve for you at work, PB.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Nigel G Mitchell said...

You get an office at all? Count your blessings, says the man who shares a table with four other co-workers.

1:32 PM  
Blogger katie said...

That is unreal! How long is the temp planning on being there? This doesn't seem right at all.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Seems bizarre to me. Why doesn't the temp do the reception work while you get the office and do everything else you're supposed to do? That's bloody rude and a bit of a slap in the face. I'd be mad as hell too.

I like what H&B said, good words of advice. Go muster yourself up a posse (of one, don't want an office mutiny) and approach the powers that be with some sound practicalities of the situation.

Good luck!

5:16 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I don't blame you for feeling grouchy, but I think you have a strange interpretation of Older Worker---I don't consider myself an older worker, just a seasoned one, and I'm twice your age

1:14 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Sympathy all around!

2:15 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I'm absolutely incensed for you. These people are chipping away at your self esteem with every little slight and it's not on.

I would be very tempted to throw my reignation at them but I know you can't. Can you go and see HR about it? The office thing is unaccaeptable.

6:17 AM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

Is there anyone you can go to about this? I would be outraged too!

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home