Sunday, September 24, 2006

Through thick and thin

After the nice long shower and then a bath, I felt pretty normal yesterday morning. Guess I'm lucky that I can usually knock out minor illness if I take counteractive measures right away. I try to avoid taking any sort of medication, if possible. My own feeling on it is that they interfere with the healing/getting well process.

But medicine would certainly be in order for anything serious. When I had "Walking Pneumonia" twice--which sounds a lot like what poor Fizzy has right now--nothing but very strong medicine would knock it out, as it was down in my lungs and made it difficult and painful to breathe. Woke up this morning with a very slight sore throat, so the germs are still trying to get me but some hot tea with honey should chase them away, I hope.

The bath certainly was nice, hadn't had one for a long long time. We only had a shower in the country house, no room for a bathtub. Maybe I'll take a bath again today, too. Yesterday I spent with Mom and doing a lot of shopping for little things. Oh, and I found a perfect birthday card for my brother! It's spoofing Dr. Seuss' "Thing One" and "Thing Two" and calling his special birthday, "Thing ___(age)" Perfect, because my Dad taught us to read using Dr. Seuss when we were four years old. It was kind of last minute, so he may not get it on time, though. Oh well, I did my best.

It rained and was dark and dreary most of Saturday. It would have been a great day to sit on the couch and read. I did read a little, later in the evening. Finished up "Boundaries in the Mind: A New Psychology of Personality" and it was fascinating. The doctor who wrote it was testing a theory of his about thick and thin personal boundaries. He did a lot of research on it and found that thin boundary people remember their dreams while thick boundary people usually do not. Thick boundary people usually stay married, stay at the same job, etc. while thin boundary people are unhappy doing the same things day after after day and need something new.

Gee, guess which one I am, ha ha! Thick boundary people are action and goal oriented, very concerned with doing the right thing, and usually consider the thin boundary people as "too flakey" while thin boundary people tend to be artistic, moveable and changeable and consider thick boundary people to be "too rigid and boring".

Most people marry a person in the same grouping as themselves, as thin boundary people scare off the thick boundary ones because of the uncertainty of the life ahead. Thick boundary people scare off the thin boundary people because they have everything all laid out for the future and life doesn't work like that for thin boundary people. So luckily, the thick boundary people usually marry other thick boundary people and live, if not happily even after, at least for a long long time together to celebrate their 30th, or 50th anniversary.

It's just a psychological theory, but pretty interesting, huh? Which do you think you are?

5 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

I'm definitely a thick boundary person. I've been married to Hot Rod for 25 years and have been with him for 2 more than that. I've been with the same company for 17 years, I have moved around in jobs but they have all been upward moves. Yep...definitely thick boundaries here!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. I think I am a mix of both! Or maybe it is because I am one but want to be the other!!!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

apart from the marriage thing, I'm a thin boundary person. And like it that way

8:41 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Perhaps I am more think than thin, especially my wasteline.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

A definate thick one here :o)
I love that photo of your boys, they are adorable!

2:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home