Monday, October 02, 2006

Not very deep

Hey, hope you had a good weekend. I did. It was kind of a media weekend, saw two movies, the first was "School for Scoundrels". Although it was really good, very funny, like many comedies, it sort of had a moral and some lessons in it too. I like movies like that and so often the reviewers don't seem to notice (or mention, anyway) that in their critique of a comedy. It's like comedy = throw away entertainment, which is usually not true in the comedies I've seen. I don't think that funny necessarily means that it's worthless. It's sort of like happy poetry is considered not very "deep" compared to the pain and suffering-type poetry.

The second movie was really sad, Jet Li's "Fearless" and I had to dash to the bathroom after to make sure I didn't have mascara down to my chin! This movie definitely had a moral, in fact, several of them. It was really good and reminded me a bit of "Gladiator" but that may only have been because of a certain part in it.

And then, last night I finished "My Sister's Keeper" wow, what a book! I'm certainly going to hunt up that author, Jodi Picoult at the library. It's about a family where the little daughter gets leukemia and the first child, a boy, is not a good match so they specifically have another baby engineered to be her perfect match. This child and the older son are pretty much ignored while the family centers on saving the girl with leukemia. When the engineered daughter is 13 years old, she gets tired of being a donor for her sister and the case goes to court. It might sound like I just gave too much of the book away, but oh no, that's just the beginning; there are twists and turns and nuances involved. It's a great book about moral and ethical dilemmas and a good read besides!

Yeah, it's Monday but have a great day!

11 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

I'm going to have to look for that book, it sounds good.

Glad you had a nice relaxing weekend.

6:10 AM  
Blogger meowminx said...

I havent seen any of Jet Li's movies, I will ask my hubby about it as he is a fan of his :)

I love reading so I will have to go check out that book too!

Im over from Wendy's

Anna
http://www.meowminx.com/babygem

6:39 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

I've got to give that book a shot. It sounds excellent. I can't wat to see Fearless. It loks so good.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Jodi Picoult, I've just finished another of her books - all the ones I have read so far have been brilliant. Hope your day's been ok.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Put me with the others in the "that book sounds great" group. Definitely have to check that one out.

3:34 PM  
Blogger katie said...

That book sounds pretty interesting. I'm going to have to check that out.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I love movies more than tv (to many reality shows with no real life in them)
I like Jet Li's movies only becuase he beats the crap out of everyone and gets away with it.
Hmmm I wonder if he tales requests? LOL
I am reading DV Code trying to beat the release I have been told the book is better.
The book sounds familiar for some reason, I doth think I read it though, must be something i saw.
I hope you hd a great Monday

3:58 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

two movies and a book!!! it sounds like you're back to having fun. I have a secret passion for both Jet Li and Chow Yun Fat---of course it's not so secret now but it is a passion.

6:48 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

There's a book...very old...called "My Brother's Keeper." Not the same but an interesting premise none the less. I read in when a kid...but it's not a kid's book. Forget the Aurthor tho.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I tried another of her books but struggles with it, however I have heard an aweful lot about this book and will certainly dig it out. Happy monday too and Tuesday too

4:50 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

OOooo PBS, that book sounds like a winner! Just jotting down the authors name and title....must look out for it :o)

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home