Thursday, September 21, 2006

Breakfast is bad for you

Don't eat breakfast, it's bad for you. Or rather, bad for your computer. Hey, this could be Advice to Myself #3, I knew they would count up!

I keep a plastic water bottle at my bedside (good thing it has a top, turns out). Yesterday I decided to have some cereal with milk along with my cup of coffee as I was catching up on reading favorite blogs. I was in the process of pulling up Sumo Merriment's blog. The water bottle, without my touching it, tipped over off the high dresser and hit the cereal bowl with a splash.

The cereal bowl was sitting on my computer desk right by my large speaker and some milk went into the speaker. The speaker was not even turned on but started to make some horrible, loud sounds. The computer desk was, of course, swamped in milk and cereal. I had already run to the kitchen for towels to mop it up.

I had to shut down the computer at the surge protector and turn the keyboard over to drain it out, rescue the little speaker and other stuff from the computer table. It was a mess but you can see that my computer is working (so far) right now. I let it dry out for a day before turning it back on. Well, I guess breakfast wouldn't be so bad for you if you actually ATE it and didn't spill it all over! Have a great day!

7 Comments:

Blogger Dale said...

OMW! Years ago, I bought a new laptop for Donna to replace the one I'd smashed to smithereens (it's a long story) and I spilled a single drop of water onto the keyboard. The computer was damaged and it cost $300. to repair it. Turned out to be a very expensive temper tantrum.

Glad things turned out well for you.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear!!! I am always throwing my food around but usually it goes all over me rather than the computer - thankfully!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

Reminds me of my rule not to mix computing and booze. Once, while doing shots of bourbon, I spilled my Coke into the keyboard and had to replace it.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

A narrow escape (or escapade). How are the speakers?

10:49 PM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

thus the creation of the term "the domino effect"...

11:50 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Not only do I make your computer crash...it seems I cause water jugs to fall on cereal bowls and wreak havoc. I clearly must be stopped!

3:37 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I did that with my laptop a couple of months ago when a bottle of water spilled into it.
I have it hanging off the shower head for almost a week before I started it up again

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home