Monday, September 18, 2006

Who would be your choice?

A word of advice to myself: don't go grocery shopping while still queasy. I did that on Sunday and truly thought I was going to be sick, in the UK meaning of the word (see previous post, below)! Luckily I could make it a smaller, quicker trip than originally planned.

Later still on Sunday, son wanted to go out to eat. He almost never wants to do that, plus he's seldom home. He's been home more often now lately. His place of work is not so happy about his going to school and has cut back on his hours. I have found (in my various past places of work) that work is a jealous suitor for one's time! No matter what they SAY, the higher-ups at work do not like a person to work another job or go to school. They say it's because of falling job performance, but ties into their finding out about it, not the actual start of the school or work! I got laid off one time because of working another job. They didn't know about it for over a year but once they found out, they made an excuse to get rid of me.

When I finally read the Sunday paper, quite a bit later on Sunday night, they had the question, if you could could a day with someone who is gone, who would it be and what would you do? I'd spent the day with my Dad, planting long rows of trees on the land where I grew up. That's the land that my younger brother bought from my Mom this last spring. I haven't been out there since then and used to go every week. Every year when he was well, my Dad would get 2,000 to 7,000 small trees and plant them. I would often help, if I wasn't working two jobs. It was great to bring some water and a sandwich and stay out in the woods all day, talking and working or just being silent together.

It's 45F outside right now, which is not horribly cold (yet) but not so good when I left a window open. Brrr and brrrr. Who would be your choice to spend the day, and what would you do?

5 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

I would like to spend a day with my uncle. He died way too early in life and I would like to spend a day with him hearing about his Navy days.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I remember when I was younger and tried to transfer to another Kmart when my favorite manager moved and promised me a raise. They didn't allow transfers for hourly employees, so I had to resign at one and be hired by the other. The one got spiteful that I was leaving them and only gave me one hour per week for my remaining two weeks (I was required to give two weeks' notice to be eligible for rehire). Definitely petty.

1:10 PM  
Blogger katie said...

I would choose my grandmother. I miss her everyday.

1:44 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Like you, I would spend the day with my dad, but if it couldn't be family, I would choose someone whose untimely death was a still-unsolved mystery. Or the person who invented the bra to find out why he/she didn't do a better job. Or with Mary Magdalene, who has to be one of the potentially most interesting women ever

6:47 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I think I would like to spend the day with my cousin. We grew up together but he died of a heart attack in is very early thirties. He was a friend as well as a rellie.

I have been blessed in that I have lost only a few people who I was close to, Grandparents and an Uncle and my cousin. Obviously I'm not blessed to have them gone, I am blessed that I still have so many of my loved ones left.

3:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home