Thursday, December 15, 2005

It's Deep

I've had a busy couple of days. For one thing it's snowed and snowed. It was thigh-high this morning when I was out in my skirt and boots shoveling. I was also wearing a long black wool coat which was dragging in the deep snow. I didn't have the time or energy to do a lot of shoveling, just enough to get the jeep out. My son probably had to shovel quite a bit to get his little car out, later for work. It was the same yesterday, in fact the schools were closed. But not our office. We still had the last half of the staff meeting, which went almost as well as the first half. I just let the warmth and good cheer pour out of me. And, no, I wasn't faking it, either.

Today we had a company holiday party with good food and awards were given out. Are you surprised to learn that I didn't get an award this year? I received one last year and the year before. I do have a pretty good idea now who may be replacing me. She's from a different department and really has caught the higher-ups fancy. She received two awards. I was kind of a supervisor to her, and if she gets the new job (with the fun tasks they took away from me) she will be MY supervisor. Isn't it funny how life twists and turns? Good thing for me that I've always treated her really well. Hope she remembers that and doesn't let her new status go to her head.

Last night I came home from the second half of the two-day staff meeting and had to dig (shovel) my way back into the driveway. I'd only done about 2/3 of it when I was too tired and decided to go inside and take a short break before finishing. I clicked on the kitchen light, the bulb went out with a snap and the entire house went dark! I grabbed the flashlight, went to the power box and snapped the circuits on and off, nothing. Then I started unplugging things and snapping the circuits on and off, still nothing. I had a real estate guy coming over any minute to look over my house---this is a story that I haven't told you yet----and he was going to have to see it by candlelight and oil lamp! I planned to tell him that it was "mood lighting"!

I got the phone book and called an electric company. As I was doing so, I happened to notice that there was an orangish-red glowing on the outside of my house! I slipped my boots back on and dashed out into the deep snow to see what was causing it. All sorts of fire-related possibilities were going through my mind. I was mentally preparing to run back in and start rescuing my animals!

It was the electric meter which had a bright orangy light glowing in the bottom on it. I've been a meter reader and have never seen anything like that, it looked ominious. The electric company told me they would also call the power company because it sounded like a relay was out. Apparently that sort of thing happens, it just had never happened to me. So in about 20-minutes I had all sorts of power utility vehicles in my mostly shoveled driveway and men wading around in the snow and coming into the house with flashlights. It was pretty exciting in a nerve-racking sort of way.

The last man was just finshing up when the real estate guy finally came, puzzled at all the commotion. I blew out all the candles and we sat down to talk. I noticed that he kept his jacket on, the house was pretty cold because my heat is electric and also because the door had been open so many times. Hopefully I will be able to get twice as much for the house as I paid for it. That's not a huge amount, however, as it was (and still is) a tiny, cheap house!

Tonight I met SLA at a downtown grill after work. I was beginning to be worried about her, as I had no address or phone number and had been waiting for her to contact me for over two weeks. After dinner we first went to her landlord's beautiful house for a couple of hours, and then to her ex-houseguest's new apartment, which was very roomy. When we tired of bothering her (she was on the cell talking to her new man) we went to SLA's new apartment. It was also very large, with lots of storage space. I'm glad she found a great new place. Maybe now things will go better for her.

From my E-mail:
THE LAWS OF LIFE
When one wishes to unlock a door but has only has one hand free, the keys are in the opposite pocket. (Von fumbles law)

A door will snap shut only when you have left the keys inside. (Yale law of destiny)

When ones hands are covered with oil, grease, or glue, your nose will start to itch. (Law of ichiban)

Your insurance will cover everything but what has happened. (Insurance so sorry law)

When things seem easy to do, it's because you haven't followed all the instructions. (Destiny awaits law)

If you keep your cool when everyone else is losing his, it's probably because you have not realized the seriousness of the problem (law of gravitas)

Most problems are not created nor solved, they only change appearances. (Einstein's law of persistence)

You will run to answer the telephone just as the party hangs up on you. (Principle of dingaling)

Whenever one wants to connect with the Internet, the call you've been waiting for all day will arrive. (Principle of Bellsouth)

If there are only two programs on TV that are worth your time, they will always be at the same time. (Law of wasteland)

The cost is always higher than one budgets for, and it is exactly 3.14 times higher, hence the importance of pi. (Law of pi eyed)

The probability that one will spill food on one's clothes is directly proportional to the need to be clean. (Law of Campbell scoop)

Each and every body sitting on a commode will cause the doorbell to ring. (Law of ogolly gee!)"

Wind velocity will increase proportionally to the cost of one's hairdo.(The donking principle)

After discarding something not used for years, you will need it one week later. (Law of fatal irreversibility)

Arriving early for an appointment will cause the receptionist to be absent, and if one arrives late, everyone else has arrived before you. (Law of de lay)

Do not take life too seriously, because in the end, you won't come out alive anyway." (Theory of absolute certainty)


Have you been following any of these laws or principles today?

14 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

ooooooo that orange glow sounds a bit scary, thank goodness they were prompt in coming out to sort it. It takes house and hours and hours for the elec. company to come out here.

I can not imagine thigh high snow! WOW!

12:56 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

I have lived the snow and electrical outage myself more than once. And once is enough. I guess you'll be moving closer to town for the convenience and all. Your jeep gas bill must be an eye popper.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Heh, i follows tons of laws...i'm sick to death of laws!!!
Hey PBS, so nice to finally get back on my computer and catch up on your "news". Please send some snow my way, i'm sick to death of 100dgs :(

5:14 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I know how you feel. There's a girl in my office who has been here just a little over a year and she's like 3rd in command.

I've been here almost 12 years.

Don't get me wrong...we get along great and she's a super nice person but...it's all in who you know (in some jobs anyway). And God knows I sure would like to be making the money she's now pulling in!

That glowing meter is scary! I would've freaked out!!! Glad it worked out and it wasn't anything as destructive as a fire!

8:01 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i love the last email thingy, very true...

hope your power is now sorted, must be freaky out in the middle of nowhere, thankfully the company were there quick smart...

hope that your house sells quickly and for the price you want...and that the girl at work has more common sense than bosszilla...

:0)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

It's always a good idea to be nice to the people you work with. You never know when one of them might become your boss.
Glad you got the power back on so quickly..

9:16 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Your attitude continues to be refreshing. I don't think I could do it.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

What no reward? That seems so unfair. Well I hope you have a great weekend!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I had been thinking you needed a new version of your life, and it sounds like you're getting one---I was hoping for less nerve-wracking though.

4:55 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

That's scary, I would have freaked out.

And that sucks about work. I am still hoping you find the job that you want.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Mr G said...

I absolutely pledge to the Theory of Absolute Certainty... (I'll miss not seeing my funeral though)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Carol (Smiles and Laughter) said...

Interesting about the electricity!! Glad it got fixed quickly.

I think I follow all of those laws.

7:13 PM  
Blogger George Breed said...

PBS, I invite you please to turn your mind to A Worthy Project on my site. Thanks, George

9:27 PM  
Blogger dot said...

Great title for this post...lol!

It sounds as if you handled the electricity/real estate agent drama with great aplomb.

I love the "Donking Priciple".

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home