Sunday, November 20, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving Week!

Hope you had a super weekend! I’m back from the retreat, and it was great, a strange and wonderful combination of yoga, sitting meditation, praying, and not talking, the retreat house is run by Benedictine nuns. I find myself not wanting to talk about it. There were cool yoga stories, the room I slept in was named “Patience” eating silently with many others was like a slow-motion ballet, full of grace and beauty. It’s probably needless to say, but I’ve been yoga-ing and sitting meditation off and on since I got back home from my Mom’s. Haven’t wanted to watch tv or go online. Yet, I need to have some sort of explanation for not blogging tomorrow.

words from the non-talking retreat
The Guest House – Rumi
This being human is a guest house
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
Some momentary awareness comes
As an unexpected visitor.
Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they’re a crowd of sorrows,
Who violently sweep your house
Empty of its furniture.
Still, treat each guest honorably. He may be clearing you out
For some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
Meet them at the door laughing,
And invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
Because each has been sent
As a guide from beyond!

The Sun in Drag – Hafiz
You are the Sun in drag.
You are God hiding from yourself.
Remove all the “mine”—that is the veil
Why ever worry about
Anything?
Listen to what your friend Hafiz
Knows for certain:
The appearance of this world
Is a Magi’s brilliant trick, though its affairs are
Nothing into nothing.
You are a divine elephant with amnesia
Trying to live in an ant Hole.
Sweetheart, O sweetheart
You are God in Drag!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving week!

38 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

So pleased you enjoyed your weekend. (I think I'm even more envious now!)

2:15 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

have a wonderful thanksgiving, i'm glad you enjoyed your trip, it sounds so serene and relaxing, nothing at all like my weekend...lol

:0)

2:36 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm, did you smuggle chocolate in like i told you to?? I bet they made you eat cardboard and grass!
Glad you had a great time, look forward to hearing more about it :o)

4:26 AM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

My spirit is typing this... I am NOT moving my hands AT ALL.

:P

5:42 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Glad to hear you had a good time! Makes me want to try something like that (although I don't know if I could keep my big yap shut!;)

7:31 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Silent meditation makes me want to kill people. I'll stick with heavy metal and beer. It mellows me out.

9:13 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

That's cool, I didn't know nuns practiced yoga and stuff.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Queen on the run said...

How very strange that those words are so powerful and thought provoking and make so much sense

12:45 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

Have a great holiday week :)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

My parents worked for the church running a similar place. Not always silent but always booked by people wanting to retreat whterh within a religious atmosphere or a more secular one.

I don't think you need to speak about these times ... these times are your times

4:07 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I love the idea of God in drag...still working it outl

5:13 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

I'm with Fizzy. Blog about it if you want, but know you don't have to. Follow your heart. Happy Thanksgiving.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Mr G said...

Hello PBS!!!
Good old Yoga always does the trick...
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving week!

7:19 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

How cool...happy turkey day to you too.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Red Bark said...

Sounds like a great time.

Thanks for the beautiful poems. Quite moving.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ooops, I'll try again. I'm with Fizzy and Dale about the BLOGGING. You sound as if you just had an amazing experience. Follow your heart and Happy Turkey Day!!!lol!

12:23 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Sounds like you had a nice time relaxing and taking it easy.
The thought of sitting back in a room of people and eating in silence sounds.......Insane.
I was brought up Greek, if there wasn't a catastrphy at the kitchen table we wouldn't be able to digest LOL
Have a nice Thanksgiving :D

1:05 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Happy to hear your adventure was good. May you have an enjoyable Thanksgiving with your mother and son...and your critters!

2:59 AM  
Blogger dan said...

i could use some mediatation myself

4:13 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Happy Thanksgiving
hope you have a good time

11:57 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Have a great holiday, I'm glad you enjoyed your retreat.

2:12 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Just here to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. Sounds like you had a nice time.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Happy Turkey Day PBS :o)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Happy Thanksgiving.
Are you ever coming back to your blog..

9:29 PM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Happy Thanksgiving PBS...and many blessings to you and yours.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, i hope you are having a great time...

:0)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Have a lovely thanksgiving PBS. That retreat sounded VERY restful, just what you need at this time of year. Just what I need at this time of year too lol
*hugs*

6:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hope your Thanksgiving was nice!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Lucy Stern said...

Sounds like you had a great, but interesting, time. I want to start taking Yoga.

12:38 AM  
Blogger dan said...

brrr...it's cold

2:46 AM  
Blogger George Breed said...

Ommmm......
O Mani Padme Hum
Es-Piddly-Ooten-Dooten
Wa-La-Ka-Choo

Yes. A definite high from quietly being. The poems and description remind me of Jon Kabat-Zinn retreats.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

just popping to say hello and see howyou are doing. Look after yourself.

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds excellent. I go to a yoga class most weeks & some of it is hard but some of it is so relaxing I could fall asleep! Glad you had a good time.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

just called over again to say hi, missing you loads, hope everything is ok...

*hugs*

2:36 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Just checking to see how you are.

We miss you here!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I am missing you like crazy - I really hope that you are OK

2:07 PM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

So much time goes by in between my visits and I get to feeling so awful about it, but there's nothing I can do.

I'm so happy for you that you've found a means to gain peace of mind and soul. I've read and heard marvelous things about meditation and yoga.

I think these practices will do wonders for you ...

Good for you in taking care of yourself!

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home