Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The Nativity Scene of Deer—Three is the Magic Number

Well yesterday was an interesting day, and busy too. We have a new co-worker who started on Monday. So far we’ve all gone out to lunch as a group both Monday and Tuesday. Normally we almost never do that. He’s going to get the wrong idea about us. He seems quite nice and is moving to this area from distant state. I do tend to get along better with men at work than with women. I think it’s because I grew up with brothers. How are you in getting along with same or opposite genders at work? Or does it totally not matter (which would be the idea situation, for sure!) Anyway, I’ve scored two different chicken salads in the past two days and finally brought them home from work last night. It was a good thing I did, because….

The power was out when I got home. Apparently the heavily falling wet snow knocked a power line down or something. I had stopped to fill the tank with gas and get bread and milk so it was dark outside already. But the lights in the house were off even though my son’s car was in the driveway. I was thinking maybe he was in bed sleeping (he works odd hours) but he met me at the door with the lack-of-power news. The microwave and stove are electric too, so no cooking could be done. We had the two salads by candlelight as the house got colder and colder. We have electric heat. I did buy a kerosene heater last spring but it’s packed in our tiny storage shed and I was hoping the power would come back on before it got to that. It would be difficult to drag it out in the dark and I would have to make room for it in the house. My son had already called in the outtage and continued to call each hour to get an update.

Finally after talking on the phone to two different friends (at least the phone wasn’t out, but we had to plug in the regular phone, the cordless didn’t work) he decided to go to a friend’s house to visit where it was lit and warm. As he was going out the door (quickly, so as to not let out what little heat was remaining) he said, “Look, there’s some deer!” And right on our front yard, where the neighbor had wanted to drag our “spare” car was a nativity scene of deer! Two deer were standing in the dark over one deer lying in the snow, legs gracefully folded. The snow was coming down so hard that they were covered with it. It was a beautiful and peaceful sight! They were there because of the smell of the hay over my water line. Hay smells really good even to humans, and we don’t eat it! My car still has a faint, pleasant scent of hay.

After my son left for a warmer environment, I wrapped up in a blanket and snuggled on the couch with my little dog for awhile. But as the candles got dimmer, I decided to make a trip to the discount store and get some oil lamps instead. I drove through what appeared to be a blizzard and slippery driving. My rear window wiper isn’t working and neither the mechanic with the beautiful eyes nor the place that fixed my brakes have been able to fix it. Wow, did I ever miss having it continually wipe the back window free of snow! It was difficult to see.

I went a little wild at the store and bought three oil lamps, one big one and two smaller ones and two bottles of smokeless oil. I also bought three (must have been the magic number!) new flashlights, again one big one and two smaller ones. Then I drove back home on the sloppy, messy roads but the snow didn’t seem to be coming down as hard. The neighbor’s lights were on as I drove down our dirt (now covered with snow) road, so I knew the power was back on again, yay! It had been a mere three (that number again!) hours off since I first had gotten home from work, but electricity sure does make a difference in living and comfort.

Speaking of living and comfort, the V-Man called me at work. He had spent the entire day cutting wood and then had to go in to work for the night! He was too exhausted to want company, just wanted to sleep a couple of hours before work. Plus he didn’t want me to drive all the way out to the farm in such poor driving conditions.

Yes, it’s Wednesday! Hope you have a good one.

18 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

ah, that old classic: the snow brinnging the lines down.

6:56 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I would have loved to seen the deer. It's amazing the beauty you can find even in the midst of a snowstorm.

Glad your power wasn't out for too long. We are still waiting for winter to hit here, it's an odd year, that's for sure. We will probably be hit hard later.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Did VM cut three pieces of wood and then sleep for three hours. That would have been eerie.
Deer are nice to see except when you are driving and they run across the road in front of you..

8:18 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

I liked this post. I know, it was nothing really exciting. Just Life. But thanks for sharing it with us! It's frightening how dependent we are on electricity. Snow! Gah!! We'll have it here soon enough.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ack! I can't imagine driving on icy snowy roads!!! But at least you're now prepared for the next power outage! :)

And it usually doesn't matter if my co-workers are male or female...if we "click" we "click". I have to say though that one of the people I chat with most at work is a guy. Maybe you're right about the "grew up with brothers" thing (because I grew up with brothers too).

Hope you have a great Wednesday too! :)

9:03 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That sounds like one of those moments that makes life worth living. Thanks for sharing that.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There aren't too many women where I work but I get on with nearly all of them & I get on with the blokes too. I do find that I sometimes get on better with blokes tho & I grew up with just the one sister (who'll be home soon & I can't wait to see her!)
I couldn't live without elecricity. Glad it wasn't off too long! take care x

1:17 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I always get along with men better also, I have 6 brothers (3 real 3 step) so I also think that is the reason for it.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

The deer scene sounds a wonderful sight to have seen, good always comes from the bad conditions.

I am so glad that your power was connected and that you did not spend the night freezing.

Have a good last of what is Wednesday

2:33 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Seeing those deer must have been amazing, but I think I could do without the power outage.

3:09 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Just like George Carlin said on his most recent HBO special...all that we know as civilization would totally fall apart if we lost electricity.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Three seems to be your number.
We got our first snow yesterday and it was nice to see bit we know its the begining of winter now for sure.
Loosing power during cold weather only makes you miss a fireplce more.
I hope its the only power failure youexperience this year. :)

12:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can't tell you how much I miss the warm climes of the Southwest! I've posted about deer here too. Not sure when mating season is over, but they get aggressive if approached even by accident. Stay warm!!

1:43 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

sounds like a lovely time, and the power of three huh...glad your power came back on, but I suppose now you are ready for it if it happens again, do you have a camping stove, those are really useful...

:0)

2:43 AM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

i want snow. Wanna exchange?

4:07 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I absolutely love to see deer. It always makes my day when I spy a wee Bambi somewhere!

5:38 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

You don't have a gas-powered microwave oven? Too bad. Those deer would have made tasty steaks.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Awwwwwww, the deer, i wish you had a photo! I sympathise re power, ours goes out often due to dust on the transformers...then it rains and bang out goes the power!
Women can be cows to work with PBS.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home