Saturday, October 22, 2005

Saturday is a day of rest

Oh, it’s SO good to be home! I spent all of Friday working, of course. Called the garage two blocks away from work and they had a cancellation, so I got the jeep in to be fixed, too. It had a list of things wrong with it by this time. But despite a repair bill a page long, it was slightly under $300. Not bad for car repair. The man who owns the garage is a sweetheart (and has beautiful eyes too!).

After picking up the truck from the garage I met SLA at the bar/restaurant/laundramat and had a burger and beer. They were going out again but I just could not, too tired. SLA was plotting how she could set it up to not have to work at all anymore. I know she’s had a bad time of it, but seeing her all fresh and ready to go out for a fun night, and setting things in motion so she won’t have to work--she hasn’t worked since February, just hit me wrong, probably because I’ve been slaving away for long hours for the past couple of weeks. Am I a bad friend? Is it just envy on my part? I do envy people who don’t need to work, or only need to work part time and can choose what sort of work they do. They are lucky lucky people who have a lot more time and LIFE than we wage slaves do.

Got home at 7:30 pm and read a few blogs. Read the sad news of Kevin’s (of Humble Tidbits of Vacuity father. I don’t know why people say “lost” when a loved one dies, it’s not like they were misplaced or something. Maybe saying “died” sounds just too harsh. But it is a loss, so perhaps “lost” is apt after all. A death of a loved one is so personal, and leaves a hole in your life where they once interacted with you.

Quite a few of the Fed Ex boxes came back yesterday and I got to open, sort and put things away. I won’t be traveling for work again for quite a while, and that’s good. The trip and the convention went very well, even better than the last one, which was good, too. I talked to all sorts of people all day long, every day from 5:00 in the morning until 10:00 at night most days. It was long and grueling but I started out fresh and full of energy each day—until the last night and the Grand Finale. I was so tired that I could barely speak, hoarse, sore legs and feet, and was quite the mess in general. But the attendees were getting tired after all those days by that time and weren’t as lively and demanding any more either. I left the event early that night, only 9:00 pm (after the regular 5:00 am start, of course), to do some of the boxing up of our materials for shipping back to the office.

There were many funny incidents which I should have taken the time to write in my notebook journal, like I normally do. I didn’t write a single bit all the time I was there, just fell into bed exhausted each night and bounded out of bed early the next day. Now, sadly, I can’t remember the cute little quotes and incidents clearly. But maybe with some catch-up rest they will come back to me. I’m feeling a lot less run-down already this morning, with the happy prospect of a day off! I need to get groceries, as the cupboards and refrigerator are empty. And hope to meet with the Scone Club today and resume my normal life. Have a great Saturday!

9 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Rest my friend! Don't do too much little bits at a time. So glad it was a successful trip, enjoy your scones!

6:02 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i think we now have a permanent date for the party, but who knows...lol

you're repair bill was cheap, did you tell him he had nice eyes, i bet that would bring it down some more...

i suppose some people work hard with little reward and some people can't be bothered, i'm sure your friend will see the sense and find work soon, its the only way to pay all those pesky bills...

have a great time with the scone club and a fab weekend...

*hugs*

:0)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

you are back...!

I have to agree with Magpie abt that eyes thingy... he might lower down the cost LOL!

We MEN can be suckers at times! LOL!

7:26 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I know how you feel. I'm so tired, but I have to work tonight. At least I have Sunday and Monday off.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Enjoy your weekend and get some rest..

10:43 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Can't wait to hear about the incidents and all. Sounds like you had a colorful time. Rest up!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I'm not surprised you can't remember those little quips and things that happened if you'd been up from 5am to 10pm. My god woman! I'd have been comatose half way through the first day! lol

3:09 AM  
Blogger dan said...

i know this is probably an inappropriate time for this story, but i once worked with this man and an old lady said to him: i lost my husband two weeks ago, and he said:haven't you found him yet?

i just wanted the ground to swallow me up, but at the same time i wanted to laugh. the shame of it all.

3:44 AM  
Blogger Weary Hag said...

Another quick story, and this really happened to my dad. He was sitting on a bench waiting for my mom to finish shopping (Walmart). Next to him was another old man. A third fellow walked up to greet his friend next to my dad and the friend said, "So what's new Charlie?" The other man said "Well, I lost my wife." The one guy said "Oh I'm so sorry to hear that... had she been ill?" The guy said "No no no, I mean, I LOST my wife, here, today, shopping... she's in one of these damned aisles!"
My dad cracked up laughing to himself when he overheard that.

I hope you enjoyed your scones!

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home