Friday, October 07, 2005

The straight scoop

Hmmm, it’s a week until I leave for Cleveland again and I’ll be there for a week for our convention. There’s a symmetry to that! I still haven’t decided what to wear for all of those days. My clothes must be dressy, yet comfortable to wear for 15 hours of work. They must be interchangeable outfits so there will be a new combo for every day, and they must not be something like I just wore to DC or to Cleveland last week. That counts out just about everything I own! I really don’t want to buy any more clothes and I really have no time to shop for them.

I worked my now-usual 10-hour day with no lunch and then went to met SLA and houseguest at the bar/laundramat/restaurant. While in the laundramat we all got to talking to a woman doing clothes nearby. She asked me “Where do you work?” and I said “After griping about it for the past 45-minutes, I think I’d better not say!” And we all had a good laugh, but I really should be more careful. In my defense, I had a really bad day and just reached the end of my rope several times. Each time it was with a staff member or with the company I’m (trying to) manage for our convention. They are trying to weasel out of doing just about anything they can. And I can argue all I want with them but basically have to get along with them and have a good relationship in front of our clients at the convention. At this point I want to never see, hear or deal with any of them again. But I get to spend a week together with them, working long hours.

So I asked SLA “Is it me? Am I just a bitch to work with?” and SLA and houseguest advised me that I am very pleasant and easy to get along with, but that it could be part of the problem. They said that I tend to be too agreeable and other people can push me around.

It’s good to have friends to give you the straight scoop on things. Hope you’ve got some to do that for you, too.

I’m going to volunteer to be a reference for that company when this is all done—and give them the worst reference possible! Do you think they will catch on?

From my E-mail
Neat Trick
My husband and I had just finished tucking our five young ones into bed one evening when we heard sobbing coming from three-year-old Billy's room. Rushing to his side, we found him crying hysterically. He had accidentally swallowed a penny and was sure he was going to die. No amount of talking could change his mind.

Desperate to calm him, my husband palmed a penny that he happened to have in his pocket and pretended to pull it from Billy's ear. Billy was delighted. In a flash, he snatched it from my husband's hand, swallowed it and demanded cheerfully, "Do it again, Dad!"

Your Tax Dollars
Late one night in the Washington D.C. a mugger wearing a ski mask jumped into the path of a well-dressed man and stuck a gun in his ribs.

"Give me your money," he demanded.

Indignant, the affluent man replied, "You can't do this - I'm a US Congressman!"

"In that case," replied the robber, "give me MY money!"

Hey, happy happy finally Friday to you!

9 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

I am the same way, I can be such a pushover.

I have to come up with clothes to wear to school. I am such a blue jean gal, and I don't have a lot of dress clothes. I don't want to buy anything, I can't really afford to, ugh.

And why buy clothes that I am only going to use for a week?

I don't need them for work, since I wear a uniform.

What a dilemma.

*sigh*

6:05 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I can sympathize with you on the clothes issue...I have a certain amount of outfits and I have to rotate them to try and not wear the sme thing every week! I kinda wish we had uniforms so I wouldn' have to worry about it!

And as for me? It all depends on who's doing the pushing but sometimes I'm a pushover too.

It drives The PK NUTS because I'm never a pushover for him!!! :)

LOVED the last joke...it's so true! :)

6:37 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

You know in this huge city I live in we don't have a bar/laundramat/restaurant I think I should open one, they are always in movies and I just don't get why we don't have one. Maybe we do and I just don't know about it???

You're right it is good to have great friends like that I am glad that I have a few too. Have a great weekend!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

For comfort and style, go with a jogging suit and gold jewelry. Tell everybody the pimp craze is coming back.

8:14 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Ha ha. Great e-mail!
It's nice to have people around you to tell it like it is.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Have a super weekend!

4:41 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

You should just buy a white lab coat and wear it every day. They are always fashionable and suggest an air of dignity. Or something like that.
The jokes were great as usual..

5:48 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I agree with Happy...the lab coat thing and the air of dignity. Works for me. Enjoy your weekend.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I have two sets of clothes, work(teaching) and comfy. I am desperately trying to find comfy and smarter clothes to wear.

It is good have to have friends that you are so comfy with that they can be honest and not offend.

Good jokes have a good weekend I am sorry that I didn't get to vist more this week

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home