Monday, October 24, 2005

Is it a work day already again?

Monday, geez seems like I just got off on Friday. Oh well, it was a good weekend, hope yours was too.

I do remember a couple of things from the trip: when flying out, which seems long long ago now, on the plane I sat next to an 85-year-old doctor from the Mayo Clinic. He was dressed up in a tweed suit and had his hat balanced on his knee. He looked sort of professorial and natural in his suit, like he wore a suit all the time. We got to talking and he was the most interesting person, told me stories about during the war and pointed out (when we were coming in to land) the farm he grew up on as a child. He was coming back to Cleveland for his 60th Medical School Reunion!

He still works as a consultant to the Mayo and said it’s difficult to keep up with all the medical updates nowadays. His wife, sadly, has altzeimer’s and he almost couldn’t go to his reunion because he had to find someone to care for her for the three days he would be gone. They have been married for 58 years, which is longer than my parents were. We also talked about how expensive medical tests are now and how some sort of socialized or nationalized medicine would probably be for the better. He seemed quite old, of course, but not ailing, like so many elderly people. He walked briskly off the plane, we said our goodbyes and he stood near the gate making phone calls on his cell phone, his hat in his other hand.

Have you met any interesting people lately? (Excluding bloggers, of course. We are all interesting in our own way and are fascinating people!)

From my E-mail
Tough Customer
Tech Support: "I need you to right-click on the Open Desktop."
Customer: "Ok."
Tech Support: "Did you get a pop-up menu?"
Customer: "No."
Tech Support: "Ok. Right click again. Do you see a pop-up menu?"
Customer: "No."
Tech Support: "Ok, sir. Can you tell me exactly what you have done up until this point?"
Customer: "Sure, you told me to write 'click' and I wrote 'click.'"

Quick Quotes
"The old man laughed loud and joyously, shook up the details of his anatomy from head to foot, and ended by saying such a laugh was money in a man's pocket, because it cut down the doctor's bills like anything." --Mark Twain

"The Constitution of the United States of America, Article V, Section 1: There shall be a National Anthem containing in- comprehensible words and a high note that normal humans can not hit without risk of a hernia." --Dave Barry

Two kids were trying to figure out what game to play. One said "Let's play doctor."

"Good idea." said the other. "You operate, and I'll sue."
______

Battling Egos
A bishop, a judge, and a conductor were discussing their careers, and got into an argument about which of them was the greatest.

The judge said, "When I step into the courtroom, everyone stands to pay me respect."

The bishop said, "They stand? I have people kneel before me and kiss my ring."

To which the conductor replied, "Ha! I got you both beat. When I step on the podium people look down, cover their eyes, and say 'Oh my God!'

Have a great Monday!

14 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

No, you get all tHe interesting people! I only ever seem to meet weirdos!

That can be fun sometimes though! ;-)

6:47 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I havn't for a while that I can think of. But I do enjoy talking to the elderly. As for the national health service we have that and it helps paying for the testing and medicines that those in need,need. However there are so many people that try and "play " the system that it gets short of money.
I can only leave comments on blogger sites today is anyone else having this problem?

7:05 AM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I love meeting people like that, they have been around so long and know so much it is fasinating sometimes... I on the other hand don't really meet many interesting people but I did meet my neighbor this weekend and he is cute, so that isn't so bad!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

all i get is people who ignore me...i prefer it that way, i alway have trouble hearing people speaking on planes, must be the pressure or something...

my grandads reunion is soon but he isn't going, hes in his seventies and i think he'd prefer to forget about his school days...

me too sometimes...lol

:0)

8:45 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Your writing makes me interested in this person. Very nice.

I had four teenage boys over here yesterday visiting my daughter. They were all very interesting...hmmm...might have to write about them

9:25 AM  
Blogger dan said...

heheheh "right click"

10:47 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I love old people. Especially men. They are awesome.

3:05 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I meet interesting people almost every day, because I'm pretty chatty---right now there's someone blogging about what a spry old lady they met at Starbuck's.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Red Hot Sexy Papa said...

that right click story actually happened in my old office... my friend is a HIMBO and that explained everything.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I met a kooky guy the last time I biked to the grocery store. He seemed facinated by my bike helmet.
Not quite the same as the person you met is it..

9:56 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I met an older guy some years ago at a friends BBQ and he turned out to be the pilot that flew the feds to the 'Potsdam' conference. You know...Stalin, Churchhill and FDR. It was fascinating...I talked to him the whole afternoon. I couldn't believe that I went to a BBQ in someone backyard and came away with an historical story of such proportion.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Naaaah, i get stuck with all the loons, sure, they're interesting in a weird, deviant,illegal kinda way!!

3:23 AM  
Blogger dot said...

Very lovely writing, PBS.

Have I met anyone interesting lately?

Hmmm. I met a new lady at ballet. She is one of those moms who runs EVERYTHING and who could be rightfully arrogant if she wanted to be, but she is very lovely, and open. She is from New Orleans and explained to me exactly what was happening in the city, because she has people who still live there. She's darked haired, and olive complected, like many people that I meet from that city. She's Catholic, too, but not practicing. She's sad about her city, but hopeful for the future.

I thought she was interesting.

10:17 PM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Haven't met any interesting people, not unless you count "jerks" as interesting.

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home