Wednesday, September 12, 2007

People are kind: some good stuff

But many people are kind, generous and good-hearted. My neighbor and her daughter came over one night after work. I was so tired (and had been lying on the floor) that I told them I was sick (true) so just talked to them at the door and didn't invite them in. I got caught up on the neighborhood news, since I haven't been working outside in the yard much at all this summer for the past two months. This neighbor family has come in many times for lemonade or tea and freshly made cookies. It was an unlifting visit and I told them as they left, apologizing for disturbing me "You made me feel a lot better!"

Well, when I came home from work the next day, her husband was out weed-wacking my yard! It wasn't knee-high or anything but ragged around the edges and I had received a citation from the city to fix it (which I hadn't told the neighbor, of course). It's a lot of work to go around the raised garden beds, the rocks and the trees I've planted and he was nearly done with the job. I ran (well, sort of hobbled) up to him and thanked him. He is shy, his wife is the talkative one, so he ducked his head but looked pleased at my gratitude. I went to the garden and got him two large beautiful squash the first ones from my garden. He was done with my yard so I gave the squash to him as he walked past to go home. Wasn't that the most wonderful thing for them to do for me! I was touched by their kindness.

My friend who had come over for dinner had cried, "This house is perfect for you!" and when we were touring the basement, she offered to loan me some money--a large sum. I thanked her profusely and said I'd keep the offer in mind. She and her husband aren't wealthy, but are comfortable. I won't borrow her money unless I really really need to, as I have no way to pay it back. It would be quite a looonnnngggg time before I could repay her. But wasn't that the sweetest thing?

And then there were my co-workers helping me with the publications room. It looked really nice for the open house, thanks to them. I don't think I would have been able to complete it on my own but was giving it my best shot. A couple of the co-workers had read the accusations, and one read my rebuttal. They (the friendly ones) have been supportive, which has been a life-saver at work. And two co-workers, both with high-up positions have offered to be references for me as I'm looking for another job. It's good to know that I'm not alone at work, and makes it bearable.

My Mom had called last night to offer me money. She volunteered to pay me a sum every month until I get a better job/house situation. Sometimes I just don't appreciate my mother enough. She's always been there for me since Dad died. She's certainly got enough issues of her own to deal with. She is comfortable financially but very very careful with her money. It was a good surprise to find that she would help me, if I needed it!

The kids, who have offered me a place to stay, if I did lose the house. They take good care of me when I visit, which I wouldn't expect if I stayed there, of course. And I'd hurry to find a job in their city, and then an apartment. Long-term guests can be difficult. I really appreciate their offer.

And then there is YOU, my kindly blog readers, probably heartily sick of hearing about my problems but still supportive. Thank you! I can't say how much I appreciate your comments, even when my post is the same-old some-old horrible struggle.

It's hard and even a little embarrassing to admit I need help and support. I've always prided myself on being able to take care of myself. Maybe THAT is the lesson in all of this.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger sumo said...

It's not your fault that you work for a lousy boss...and certainly not your fault that the mortgage people are screwing you royally. Thanks be to Bush and Company! I'm so happy that you have offers of help...but I'm sure mothers help was a big boost. I know how she has been in the past. And your son is a sweetie...and his girlfriend! I'm sure neither one of my sons would want me near...I'm prickly I guess!

4:51 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I think it's hard for anyone who has been so independent to admit they may need help. I know it is for me when I need it! :)

And it's SO NICE to know you have people who have your back, isn't it? A place to land if you should fall....that's very reassuring!

And I love coming by here and seeing how your day before went! :)

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those who admit they need help always find the most amazing help in the most unexpected places. And...it seems like that has just happened to you.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am always impressed by your positive attitude.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Well I can't speak for anyone else but I will never get sick of reading about your life. Hearing of your struggles at the office make me realise what a great decision I made when I decided to pack my office job in. It was too stressful and soul destroying. I realise you don't have that luxury but hopefully you will soon.

Sometimes the simplest thing like giving someone a big smile when you make eye contact can make an enormous difference in the life of someone else.

Random acts of kindness are what keep this world a little happier.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

There is so much love all around us. I forget that sometimes. Thanks for the reminder....

7:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! You've spread the love and comfort from others to the web.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I am glad that you are so well supported. I am particularly glad that there are co-workers who will write references for you.

This is a good post .

2:14 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

We all need help once in a while and its those times we find out who are friends and family are.

You obviously are blessed with plenty of both, I hope you never need to ask and everything goes you way.
Buy a lottory ticket, who knows

2:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home