Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Got jobs? It hits the fan

OMG was this a bad day! I thought I'd seen bad days before. OK, hope I didn't scare you off already from reading this. Hope you're not thinking, "Oh good, another post about work..." Actually it started off as a bad day before I even got to work. I couldn't sleep last night, my leg hurt and it hurt all day today. That may not excite you for reading material either. Sorry. I've just been having one heck of a time that is just getting worse and worse.

Well, but at work:
I've been told to shape up or leave. BZ gave me a most brutal memo at a meeting with HR (which she told me about an hour ahead of time, and I had to drive to HQ for the meeting) It was bad, it was brutal. If I had that memo in electronic form I'd post it for you. But my fingers are sore. I just spent nearly four hours online applying for jobs and doing the resume/references thing. It takes a long time. I will type in the 5 points of the memo (omitting BZ's details and putting in my own!):

It starts off with:
I have noticed changes in your behavior, work performance and attitude, and I am concerned about you and the impact it is having on (company), and staff. I have made the following observations:

1. Numerous mistakes (that registration list fight I had with Favorite Co-worker)
2. Behavior (Not liking losing my office and job and being moved to the receptionist's desk)
3. Disorganized Library, Supplies, Supply Room (BZ's really big Biggie--this wasn't my job, remember? And at work we always talk about how everyone cleans up after him/herself)
4. Your relationship with your coworkers (the same as #2)
5. Lacks problem solving skills (she just said some very general stuff in this paragraph, nothing specific even though I asked)


This wonderful document continues on the next page with:

The types of incidents we have dicussed or which are listed above must stop immediately. Failure to demonstrate immediate improvment in your perfomrance will lead to further action that could include termination.

There are blanks, one for me to sign below the threat. I refused. They tried to make me sign it, but I wouldn't. The HR director said I could write a rebuttal to add tomorrow "just sign it now" and I refused, but said I might write a rebuttal. They said I was "defensive" well, I guess so when being viciously attacked like that. The meeting started off with the HR director telling me I should find another job! And it went downhill from there.

I drove home (with the jeep misbehaving, of course--I don't know what has happened to my nice normal relatively trouble-free life. Lately I feel like Calamity Jane!) and threatening to stall. I can't miss work tomorrow as I have been assigned (last minute by BZ, of course) to take the meeting minutes for an all-day meeting with our board. Our board comes from all over the country and will be in town for two days. During that time I will have to look cheerful and eager and happy to be at work. I'm not sure I can do it.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn pb bad news there eh.. i think if it is at all possible..high time for you to high tail it outta there.. neednt put up with that crap...even for money...(well that's what we all say...easy said..not easy done..) geesh..hoping that your day cant possibly get worse!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Lifes too short PBS, don't let a waste of space like BZ get you down. You're a smart capable woman, go out and make sure another business snaps you up!

12:38 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Just hurl in her damn skinny lap!

1:48 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Oh dear, what an unpleasant position to be in. I'd be writing that rebuttal asap if I were you. I'm with Michelle, don't let BZ get you down!

4:44 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ah crap...that sucks!

I'm with Michelle on this one. You definitely need to find you a job that appreciates you!

And good for you for not signing that...I wouldn't have either!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am sorry for you that it has come to this.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

You REALLY need to write that rebuttal. You don't need that to be the final thing in your personnel file. I can't believe they are treating you like this. I'm so sorry! I'm with everyone else, get out..get out as soon as possible. I know you can't just quit but man don't you want to?

8:24 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I seriously want to hit that bitch and I'm just in the mood to do it. I'm sorry PBS, I know you're between a rock and a hard place, and can't leave. Just keep applying for other jobs until you hit pay dirt. Do they ring previous employers over there for a reference because I'd hate to think she would sabotage any opportunities you get. Geez she's EVIL.

8:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry that all of this is happening to you, PBS!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

This makes me so riled up on your behalf---not that it could do any good, but like your other readers, I'm dismayed for you. I just hope something comes up that makes things easier for you soon.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

What a cow bag BZ is. This has gone on for far too long now. Do you have any chance to put your side of the case? Using your blog enteries over the past years you could document/write a list of all your thoughts and her actions towards you. (Obviously not showing them your blog)
I am sure that it will then but them straight about a few things whether you stay or go!
I am thinking about you.

3:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home