Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Bed head

I had bed head when I went to visit the kids. My poor hair had been caught, snagged and pulled for over two hours and was a fright.

I had asked my son on our last phone call the day before I left if he wanted anything, and his answer was, no. But I thought of their living room with only two chairs (one a plastic outdoor chair and the other a wooden kitchen chair I'd brought them) and decided that they needed more furniture. They also had talked of inviting my son's "brother" down to visit at some future date. He would drive down with me and be good company, I love that kid. But there only were two beds at the apartment, a futon on the floor and the blow-up bed.

So I decided to take the bottom bunk of the metal bunk beds. I'd bought them used when son was three and have utilized them ever since. In fact I sleep on one of them, in my bedroom now. But the other one was up in the loft and could be used for a couch or a bed at the kids' apartment. I'd used one of the bunk beds for a couch in the living room many times when I was poor, until finally we had a real couch and overstuffed chairs in the living room. It would be a good start for them.

Getting the bunk bed down from the loft was a challenge all by myself. Even getting it apart was a challenge! The first thing my son asked when he saw it was, "I supposed you scratched up the walls of the loft!?" But I didn't, was very careful--with the furniture. Wish I'd been more careful with my back as taking that heavy bed down two flights of stairs, outside and into the jeep all by myself was probably more than I was supposed to do. I wasn't supposed to carry anything heavy nor bend forward. Needless to say, I paid for my stupidity on this...

Getting the bunk bed into the jeep was the worst challenge. At first it didn't seem to fit and I had to keep leaning and shoving on it to be able to get the hatch door closed. When it was finally all inside the jeep, the (open) springs were jutting over the front seats. I had to drive two hours and twenty minutes with my head scrunched down and my hair getting torn at by the springs. Changing lanes on the interstate was exciting too, as I couldn't see in the back of the jeep and lost hair trying to turn my head to see out the sides. It was quite a drive. I have to say that I enjoyed the drive home much more!

The kids were very happy with their new bed/couch. I had to go and lie down on the cool kitchen floor to ease my back. Although I told him what I was going to do, son came into the kitchen, saw me and said with concern, "Should I call an ambulance?" But no, it wasn't that back although one of those Cortisone shots would have felt good at that point! Or those electrode-thingys.

Son's roomie and ex-girlfriend thought I should use one of those scooters when we went to the store they work in for the second time. I've been too proud to use one of those but in a strange city where nobody knows me, why not? And it was a relief to be able to concentrate on the conversation instead of walking and coping with the pain. When my Mom called last night to wish me a Happy Birthday, I told her about the scooter and suggested she should use one to go shopping!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

I can really sympathize with you now. I've had the most horrific back ache for 2 days now. I can barely function so I have no idea how you managed to get a bed down the stairs and shoved into a jeep. You are more woman than I!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

So ... you're lugging a bed around with a bad back? Tsk tsk.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

What a great picture of you on the road with the springs, the hair and the people like us saying" What in God's name is she doing?"

5:05 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Oh, your poor back!!

That is a big NO NO.

And I can't talk because I lugged a bag of fertilizer the other day...what sort of fools are we?

But...I am glad that your son liked his furniture, bedhead woman.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Oooo i love Cortisone shots...well my neck does anyhow! You poor thing, are you using a heat pack? I find they work well on my lower back at times.

10:06 PM  
Blogger magicfingers said...

I've always been like you PB. I could do anything. Unfortunantly I realized too late I can not. I have very bad legs and knees now and a sore back at times. Muscle aches everywhere almost daily. I lost my pride about a year ago and got on a store scooter. Boy I will never go back. It sure makes a difference.(i can shop longer and spend mor money :)
Shame on you for lugging that bed around.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

You sound about as determined as I am. My mind is always telling my body it can do things it can't but I never learn. There is a down side to being fiercely independant.

Glad the kids liked it though and a nice conditioning treatment should repair the damage done to your hair.

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home