Thursday, September 06, 2007

Little victories

Thanks to your support, I'm in there fighting! Having a place to vent and support make a HUGE difference. I was feeling very bad about myself. BZ's hints about "other co-workers" and her and the HR director's "you have no value to the company" had broken my heart. Yes, I know she's an evil so-and-so, but her poisoned darts kind of got to me and put doubt in my mind. I've been there since 2000, worked hard, long hours (many more hours than I've been paid), taken on additional assignments and am beloved by our clients--they rave about me--which annoys BZ and Favorite Co-worker, too. But still I had the poison of self-doubt until I read your wonderful responses of support, thank you!

Well, the timing was excellent, not bad as I had feared, to have our large board from all over the country come for a two-day meeting. BZ assigned me, very last minute, to sit in and take minutes for the entire day. That's a tough job, especially when I'm also responsible to keep the coffee, hot water, cold water, snacks and supplies filled--they are a hungry and thirsty bunch! Add to that a board member needing to make copies, send a fax, look up something on the computer--which they all did, several times--and it makes for a busy day. But I was in my element. It was a good day. Even though I was up all night with my leg/back and barely slept, I was raring to go. It really helped that my leg didn't hurt much during the day, I was lucky there.

But like the rest of our clients, our board loves me because I take care of them and love them back. BZ sat at the head of our huge boardroom table looking tired, scraggly and crabby. I was brimming with energy, smiling and talking to everyone as I darted around getting things done, and later, for the day, sitting at the end of the table taking minutes. I even smiled at BZ and had the pleasure of throwing her off in confusion. She has lots of poise and seldom gets flustered. Ha ha, right then and there I decided to be as sweet as can be and act as if nothing had happened. It threw BZ off all day and during the meals too.

We all walked for lunch at a nearby restaurant and I made sure that my end of the table was laughing and having such a good time that all the others were wondering, "What's so funny? It looks like they are having a lot more fun than we are!" That was easy enough to do, because most of the board are very outgoing and with a little encouragement....

Dinner with the board was optional, but BZ said "We really should attend." which made it NOT really optional but after the lunch and day success, I was still raring to go despite having very little sleep. I sat right across from BZ at the long table, between two male board members. Oh it was such fun! I was really getting into it, full-well knowing that BZ would later come up with some other horrible punishment and repayment for her discomfort. The two board members are much younger than I am, like most of our industry, but I have a good rapport with them and after a few drinks they were flirting with me and BZ was trying to get their attention! I have to remind you that BZ is small, very attractive, polished, well dressed and much younger than me. While I am older, larger and a little rough around the edges, a country girl at heart.

I didn't have any drinks, of course. I don't normally drink with co-workers or clients, but BZ had lots of wine and the guys had beers. I made sure to lean around and include the nearby women into our conversations (even BZ--how do you like that?!) so as not to get accused of "making eyes at the board members". It was a blast and the food was good, too.

An added bonus to the Day from Heaven (as opposed to the Day from Hell) was that BZ and HR director had wanted me to write down everything I did at work for two weeks "to try to show how you have any value to the company" and this was a great two weeks to pick for that! I worked from 7 AM to 5:30 PM, went home and came back for the dinner. Of course the dinner is considered voluntary and not paid, but the other time will go to the HR director who has been strict about enforcing the 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week restrictions. She will find some way to blame me for working more hours than I am supposed to, but in the details that I am to list of what, exactly, I am doing, it will show that the extra time was necessary. All of that will be documented, on record.

So it was a great day yesterday and I'm hoping that today will be at least a fraction of that. When the smoke (and board members) clears it will be back to the grim business of dealing with BZ--and she will get me back, but it was a wonderful pleasure while it lasted!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Well, excuse my french but "F*cK BZ!!"

I am SO GLAD it went so well for you...that really made me smile reading about how your day went!!! Good for you! :)

7:59 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have to wonder how a petty person such as BZ ever gets into a position of power. Doesn't anybody else realize?

8:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Way to go, PBS!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I just smiled the entire time I was reading this. I'm so glad you had a better day. I don't see how you can stand working for her! By the way, what does BZ stand for? I keep thinking Bridezilla but I'm not sure.

1:51 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Okay. Get that rebuttal written and make it count. Now is the time to strike, when the memories of the hugely successful board meeting are still fresh.

And this sounds sneaky, but I would watch carefully for ANY mistakes this woman makes and take good hard notes to be brought up at the next time you are called on the carpet.

I have found that the only thing that works with this type of person is to fight fire with fire. And it sounds as if you have lots of ammo.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

You owned that meeting!

8:04 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I am so proud of you! You go girl! You absolutely did the right thing. The smiling, the laughing, including everyone...you were on your mark! Bravo! It will do a psychological number on her that you weren't the shrinking violet that she intended. If she comes back at you...you know what to do. This made MY day!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

I'll tell you who has now worth to the company and that's BZ, what a tyrant that bitch is.
Who evaluates her.
I thionk she is jeolous because you can do your job with all the pbsticles she throws down at your feet.

Someone should report her to someone that could can her ass.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and show what a real asset you are to the company.

1:33 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Good For You!!!!

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes i was enjoying this post and that you were getting back at BZ! YESSSSS!!!! hey ..whatever the outcome... this day was worth it!!!

9:09 AM  
Blogger magicfingers said...

I would call it more than a little victory. Sounds like the board likes you and that has to be good. She may think twice about the way she treats you. BZ may not be able to get rid of you so easily. Stand your ground.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a perfect way to handle BZ. She must have been seething inside when she saw you enjoying yourself and not being intimidated by her and her petty little threats. The fact that the board obviously like you must put you in good stead surely when it comes to a decision about whether you are an asset or not. I agree with Walker. This whole things smacks of JEALOUSY.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home