Tuesday, September 11, 2007

And the beat goes on

This is how it will end, they will just wear me down. I worked almost 12 hours yesterday, most on my feet. We had the open house on Monday and had well over 100 people attend. They brought down two busloads plus people who walked or drove. My part was setting up the book displays and bringing in stacks of books (and refilling them during the open house) greeting people at the door and directing them around the proper "circuit" making coffee (in that heavy huge pot, and they wanted it far from the kitchen, out in the hallway) and clean up. I enjoy those types of things, but it was just too much for my physically. I didn't get home until nearly 8:00 PM and was exhausted. My Mom had called and left a message so I called her back, then lay on the floor for several hours for my back.

I've talked to two attorneys and both say that unless they are doing something illegal, there is nothing I can do. I may possibly have an age discrimination suit, but only AFTER they let me go and hire someone younger. Employers can be unfair, unjust and even cruel--and just get away with it. That's why we used to have unions (both lawyers asked if we did, because then I would have had some recourse). So there is no recourse for my situation at work. After I found that out, I began to wonder if this is worth it, to keep fighting, when they can torture me so?

BZ was glaring at me as I was refilling the book stacks. Today she will probably tell me that I was wrong to do that because "it looked bad" but if I hadn't, then I would catch hell for letting the stacks run out. There is no winning for me at work, as I said previously, from now on it will be damned if I do and damned if I don't. I've written the rebuttal, but really want someone else to take a look at it before I turn it in. It's emotional and subjective for me and I want to make sure I don't sound that way and have presented clear, logical evidence to refute the five points of accusation. All of my friendly co-workers have been at a conference for the past several days, only returning for the open house to mix and mingle.

Today I must submit a strategic plan, we have a staff meeting, I need to do the minutes, finish the clean up of the book area and publication room (because of the open house it has gotten out of order) plus all the regular work of publication mail-outs, etc. I have to make a run to the main office with some board mailing stuff that BZ had me copy on letterhead yesterday, by noon. I have a raging headache from not sleeping (drinking mint tea is helping a little) and dearly want to call in sick today. Well, truth be told, I'd like to call in and tell them that I'm never coming back!

I do have some happier stories to tell next time, though.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I hope today is better.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Work is begining to sound like hell and BZ makes for a good example of the devil.

If you ever leave that job I want her phone number because i have a couple of choise words I would like to tell her.

Just do what you can not more, don't let that bitch make you sick and hurt yourself because you are running around to please her.
Take pictures of the mess they leave and take more after you clean it up at their request.

Next time she is mad at you, smile at her maybe start laughing hysterically and walk away, that should drive her nuts.

There are different ways to fight back.
If you take her lightly then she will only go crazy and if she really goes crazy she may choke on her fat tongue and start foaming at the mouth.
That when you call the police and report the Mad Dog that needs shooting at work.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow...I sure hope things go well for you today! :)

9:38 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

I wish only the best for you!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I really hope that today is better. Look after your health. That is what matters most.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I feel for you having once taken on a bastard for a boss. He summoned one of our best guys on our management team from CBS New York on a Friday and told him to fire three "old bitches" (ages 40+) and replace them with "23 year olds in mini-skirts and lots of cleavage" by the following Monday or he could tender his resignation. He barely slept the weekend. On Monday, he just couldn't do the wrong thing and resigned. Watch those lawyers. These cases can stick to you for years. Hoping you find an exit.

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i totally agree with what walker says.. easier said than done..but just you what you feel needs to be done and get outta there! letting BZ and her every thought and emotion run your life is awful...don't even take her seriously.. her running you around... she's basically has TOO MUCH FREE TIME on her hands!

4:10 PM  
Blogger magicfingers said...

I agree with the majority, take care of you. Advice is free and you can throw it away. But, She can not force you to work overtime.
Tell her you have plans and have to leave after 8 hours. She can't do anything, except try to make your life hell which she is doing anyway.
Good luck to you. Hope your next job is awesome!
If you were here I would hire you in a minute. I would love staff as loyal and hard working and caring as you.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

oh PBS, I really feel for you. BZ can't make you do anymore than you are already doing, she is brutal in her attack on your character, not to mention your health. You can't get blood out of a stone, but BZ seems to think she can continue to pound away at you and still get more.

I SO admire your strength and courage to keep sticking this job out and putting up with such ludicrous behaviour from her. I'm also glad to read that you are looking for work elsewhere...you really need to get out of there. I hope today is more bearable for you hun.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

I think you need some rest. Some good long restive sleep.

And I honestly think that karma has something special in mind for BZ.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Oh honey, this woman is going to end up making you ill. I've had to deal with some bitches in my time but BZ is in a league of her own. I wonder what she dreams about at night, probably the stuff most of us would call nightmares.

Do your best to take care of YOU until you can get out of that hell hole. Until then sending you a big big hug from Australia.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home