Friday, August 24, 2007

My office is empty

Today was a sad day, the last day in my office. Well, actually by the time I get done writing all of this it won't be Friday anymore as it's three minutes to midnight right now. In the Wednesday check-in BZ told Former Temp and me that I had to move from my office by the end of the week. I was a bit surprised as FT is not leaving until the end of the month--which would give us until the end of NEXT week to do the moving. And of course FT is still sitting at the reception desk. So I naturally asked where I was supposed to put my things (not to mention, phone, computer!) and BZ said that FT had to move back out into the hallway in the west wing, where she first sat when she was a temp, before we'd hired her as an employee.

Well, I knew I had to move to the reception desk but was in no big hurry to do so! But making poor FT, who is already suddenly let go, have to move a week before she leaves was just kind of inhumane and it made me mad. So I asked BZ why we had to do the move this week, rather than wait a week. She glared back at me and said it was because Main Office Interloper wanted to move to my office on Monday. Knowing that I was pushing my luck and would pay for it later, I said again, "Can't she wait just one week? Why do we have to do extra shuffling around for just a week?" And it turns out that the MOI won't even be coming until next Wednesday--that's a whole three days and BZ made FT move today.

And oh yeah BZ didn't wait long to get her revenge. She and Favorite Co-worker spent the morning cleaning out the storage room. They would have made FT and me do it but I can't lift boxes and stuff because of my back. But I have to clean up all the stuff they tossed out into the hallway and make a "publications" room with a little map guide and count up all the materials. Moving all of that will be as bad as cleaning the room, maybe worse as they left a horrible mess. Oh, and FT is pulled off the mailing and receiving detail to do a project for Favorite Co-worker, so I get to start on shipping and receiving boxes a week early. I'm going to have problems with that, even with twice a week physical therapy. So I'm moved to the reception desk. I don't have a lot of stuff, but the files and things I have barely fit there. The reception desk is made for looks, not function. It's the type of desk where an attractive woman sits and answers the phone and waits on customers, not designed for the type of work I have to do. I wish I would have taken a photo of my office before I moved my stuff out of it, sniff.

And Favorite Co-worker and BZ trashed a lot of really good stuff from the storage room. I hate when they do that. For one thing BZ will go on a rampage and toss stuff one week and two weeks later want me to find her some of the materials she'd tossed. When I point out that she had thrown all that stuff away, she will say, "But you are supposed to have stashed some of that!" Well, I did but she found my stash and threw it away. She's demented, really, about stuff like that. When a staff member asked me (at the reception desk) where BZ was I told him she was throwing things away like a madwoman. Such talk doesn't get me into her favor, for sure, but then I'm not and never have been in her favor.

Secondly, the materials she throws away are brand new things that could be given away. We paid good money for them and I really hate to see them just thrown into the trash. So I called my friend (remember Urban Home Improvement --UHI--from way back when?) who had come to my house for dinner on Thursday. She works with childrens' programming and could use the two bags of stuff I salvaged. The really funny/sad thing is that BZ is on her board! And they all fear and hate her, big surprise. Anyway, I had to ask BZ's permission to give the stuff to that organization and she told me to ask Favorite Co-worker about it. I got permission for those two small bags. There was a lot more good stuff just being thrown away, I really hate senseless waste like that, but didn't want to push my luck. I'm taking the two bags to UHI tomorrow before I pick up my Mom for her Saturday drive.

Well, I had the whole update on poor SLA, the Thursday dinner and my impending visit to the kids to write about but that would be a few more pages, especially about SLA. Maybe later this weekend. It will take some time to write down the whole SLA saga, which is not finished yet. Have a great weekend!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

The more I read about BZ, the more I'd like to hurt her. If she's throwing away all that 'junk', why do you even have to ask her permission to give it to such a good cause anyway? She's got you all practically shaking in your boots. God knows why the powers that be keep her around. Besides being the bitch from hell to work from, sounds like she's also wasting money, hand over fist. *mutter mutter*

1:04 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Blimey, you don't call her BZ for nuthin' do ya? What a cow!

i used to work for a woman like that. I had to get married and move to Australia to escape her! For thata, I will for ever be in my husband's debt.

;-)

3:49 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I don't know how you can stay there---you really have my admiration for not committing BZicide.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

After reading this I am even more glad I am an Avon Rep with no insufferable bosses to make my life miserable. Up til about 18 months ago I have always worked in offices, reception, admin etc and I don't miss the bitchiness and politics one little bit. Btw, what does BZ stand for....in my head I call her BitchZilla but I'd love to know what it really means.

I wish you didn't have to put up with her and I'm sorry you no longer have an office. We all like to have a little place to call our own even at work.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It's sooo bizarre.

9:33 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

I had to ask permission to avoid being written up and disciplined by HR! We aren't allowed to do anything with materials without permission--and it (foolishly) includes stuff that is thrown away. So some really good brand-new stuff like several large boxes of kids' binoculars still each in its own individual box, notebook sets, brand new maps, cups, and lots of other good stuff got thrown in the garbage. We don't recycle at the office either. Boss-zilla doesn't like it.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I am like you and hate throwing things away that are still useful.
I am cleaning out the computer shop becaause its being closed and was told to trash it all.
So far i have a all in one scanner.photocopier/fax machine that was hardly used and a Laser printer.
I will also get the two new desks and bookcases not to mention al the spare computer partsd which will keep my computers running.

I bet down the road my brother who owned the store will be out buying new stuff that he threw out because he needs it.

Have I mention I think BZ is a bitch before?

As for the receprtion desk being occupied by an attractive woman, I am sure thats why they have you there and hide the bitch(BZ)in a back room where no one could see her ugly disposition.

1:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a very strong feeling that this will turn out to be a "blessing in disguise", sort of like that over-used saying "What seems to be the end of the road, is only a bend in the road". I send you my very, very best!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Salha said...

bz sounds like a monster! is she?

7:59 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I think it is time to buy one of those dolls that you can stick pins in.....

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home