Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Feeling lucky today?

I will be lucky (if one could call it that) not to get fired today. It all started all our staff meeting yesterday. No, wait, back up a week and a half because that's how long it's been since I've been able to sleep for more than a few minutes at a time. That sciatica in my leg is a huge pain. Anyway, I was hurting and tired and in no mood to put up with BZ bullying.

Favorite Co-worker ran the meeting as now we all have to take turns doing that. (I can hardly wait until it's my turn, what with the "in" people not speaking to me, it will be an awkward meeting for sure.) We went through all the normal stuff and at the end BZ announced that Former Temp will be leaving at the end of August. Many people already knew, but those who did not were surprised and puzzled. Me too, but Former Temp had told me the day after so at least at had a heads-up on it. BZ had not said a word to me, even though that will drastically effect my job--make it two FT jobs again, in fact. But then BZ announced something else that I didn't know ahead of time: that they are totally changing the way the accounting and travel is done. Those are the two main parts of my current job! BZ explained very carefully how to do them now, that they don't go to me anymore, etc. I was only on my first cup of coffee and dearly needed more than that just to function with no sleep, so left the meeting in semi-shock.

Shortly after that BZ started emailing me for things, curtly, demandingly, worse than her normal manner. I ignored every one of her emails, didn't even open them until later (but could preview) so she wouldn't get a "read" notice on any of them. Normally I, and everyone else there jumps at her calls and emails. I was just sort of wondering what was going to happen, would she let it go, or come and find me? Former Temp told me that BZ was very upset late one day that my office was locked after I had left for the day! I told FT and will tell BZ too that SHE is the one who told me to lock the office. I have W9s, which have SS numbers on them and other confidential data in my office. I told FT that BZ had been digging around in her reception area at least twice lately, while FT was out.

Late in the day, after I found all the info that BZ had demanded, I begun emailing them back to her, email by email. We have a certain polite email form that everyone uses in the office. We start it off with "Hi ___ (name)" and end with signing "Thanks! _____(name)" I didn't use the proper form, just blank, curt info, only exactly what she had asked me to research.

One email in particular from BZ was rude. Yes, she is my boss but I'm tired of her attitude. She emailed me curtly, "The storage room and the cabinets are a horrible mess. I must know the status of the clean up project." A few weeks ago BZ had instigated a cleaning up campaign and a meeting. Maybe you remember reading about it? Anyway, several other people were also at that meeting and had been given assignments, to clean up the materials in their particular areas before the general organization part was done. I had done several of the smaller tasks but the storage room cleanup was hinged on two other people doing their sorting and organization first.

In a reply email I reminded her that I was not the only one responsible for clean-up detail and bullet-pointed the assignments (which hadn't been done, of course, since one was Favorite Co-worker who makes terrible messes but feels she's well above having to clean or organize) pointed out that Step Four could only be done if Steps 1 and 2 were completed. Then, and this is what will really get me into trouble, I email BZ's note and my reply to EVERYONE who had been at that meeting.

So what will happen? BZ will tell me to do Favorite Co-worker's job and also do all of the rest. Former Temp will probably have to help me, but maybe not as she's doing a big website job for Favorite Co-worker right now. FCW is trying to get all of that stuff completed before Former Temp is gone and she has to deal with me again or do it herself.

I'm SO looking forward to my daily check in with BZ today! I was half thinking of calling in sick today, because I really had felt sick from lack of sleep and all. But miraculously I woke up at 3:45 this morning having actually fallen asleep for a bit. And the very best part was my leg was not hurting as badly as normal! I just lay in bed for an hour; it was heavenly having almost no pain. It's been a while since I've been able to lie down without excruiating pain. The relief was awesome and it's still good now, just a few mild twinges. So I'm going into work, they would have thought me cowardly to skip anyway. I wanted to visit and read your blogs today but writing this long piece has totally black-holed up the time!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I wonder how the day will go. Good, I hope.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope it goes ok!

8:58 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Take care of that leg...and be sure to let us know what happens!!!!!!!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I read two posts today and can't begin to imagine the level of stress you must be under.

Take good care of yourself, and let the world unfold as it will.

9:27 PM  
Blogger deni said...

It sounds as if you are getting fed up with BZ's bull, no one needs to work in such a hostile work environment. I hope things turn out alright for you, and I pray you find a better job.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

Good luck. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

7:27 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

What does BZ stand for, Bitchzilla?
I have been told I have alot of patience but I have to pass the trophy to you because I would have told her to fuck-off and not in an email either.
Let her find out your worth as she is drowining in her own crap.

Does she have people above her, send them the emails, let her feel the heat steaming up her backside.

I qam glad you leg is feeling better and yopu got some sleep.
Maybe one day it will be 100% and you can kick that bitch in the ass as you are walking out.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Ooooo....I cannot wait to see what happens next! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :)

1:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have to take my hat off to you...I would've walked out by now. It's not that easy of course, not with the house payments and not without another job to go to, but I feel sure I would've been actively seeking another job at this point.

They seem to be hell bent on pushing you out...making it so uncomfortable for you to work in that environment. You have some good sound skills that should get you a job elsewhere.

I know you want to keep your house, but I don't think two full time jobs will do anything for your health. Maybe a smaller part time role somewhere could help you hang on to your lovely home?

I really feel for you PBS, I SOOO wish I was a temp at your work. God, hun, I really don't know how you stand it. You'd think BZ's blood was gold, the way that others pander to her rudeness, pfft.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

You are walking around with an incredible amount of stress!

Please take care of yourself. I have sciatica too...so know how bad it can get. Maybe your md can prescribe something to help you sleep?

Let us know how it all goes down, yes?

8:07 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

PLease let me know how that day went. I hope that you did not get lumbered with any more work. I konw you have it really tough there. Glad to hear that you were pain free. Look after yourself .

6:45 PM  
Blogger dan said...

i sincerely hope you are not fired.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sending good thoughts your way. Sciatica is no fun. Do hang in.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sending good thoughts your way. . Do hang in.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Seriously PB, that woman is soooo out of line. In Australia we have laws against work place bullying. Do you have anything like that because if you do I would be documenting everything that happens and stick it to her good. It doesn't matter if she is your boss, there is no excuse for bad manners EVER.

I hope things change for you soon and another job comes up. I will be cheering from all the way over here if you get to tell BZ where she can jam her curt instructions.

Would you mind if I linked you. I enjoy reading your blog very much.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

It's almost been a week since this post (well in kiwi land anyway)...please come back and let us know how you're doing.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

It's been eight days since your last post, I hope all is well with you.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home