Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Oh what a day!

Oh what a day! Yesterday, I mean. Today was sort of unusual too, with two doctor appointment trips (to two different places) plus re-listing my house for sale. Two people that I know quite well lost their jobs yesterday. No, I wasn't one of them, although it's always a possibility for sure.

The second job loss I just found out about today, but had suspected it. BZ had called Former Temp into her office late on Tuesday. A late-afternoon summons to the big boss' office is NEVER good. And to top it off there were a couple of clues before that. BZ had a "Big Change" meeting with HR on Tuesday and when the HR people were leaving, they did not even look at Former Temp. She remarked on it when BZ called her to the office. She rushed into my office and asked me what I thought. I quite honestly said I didn't know, hadn't heard anything but told her that the strange behavior of the HR was a bad sign!

I told her a little story of when I went for a job interview (a long time ago) set up by a friend who worked at the potential employer's place. She and I met for lunch after my interview. One of the interviewers, a friend of hers, stopped and sat at our table. But the interviewer didn't even look at me. Even though I'd done well in the interview (friend was in on the interview too, she works for HR up there) I just KNEW I hadn't gotten the job. Friend insisted that I had it in the bag, but I knew better. Body language seldom lies, and nope, I didn't get that job.

The second clue was back a couple of weeks ago when BZ was doing one-on-one interviews with us, asking us all sorts of questions about our jobs, co-workers, policies, etc. In that interview I had asked her if we were keeping Former Temp--fully expecting to hear an enthusiastic "yes" because Favorite Co-worker, her little pet just loves Former Temp. But BZ was very noncommital about it and that surprised me. It worried me a little too.

So Former Temp will be leaving. It's a shame, she was a nice person and the one to clue me in to certain tricks that Favorite Co-worker was pulling on me to get me in trouble. Come to think of it, probably Favorite Co-worker turned on her former little buddy because of that. So although I feel bad for Former Temp, I feel bad for ME, too!

Favorite Co-worker can continue doing things like changing the passwords on me to make me look bad (she is the administrator of our website) and I will have to sit at the front reception desk again. I really didn't care to ship out all those boxes every day and receive shipping in. It's hard on my back and difficult to stay looking nice (which is a requirement when sitting in front) when packing, unpacking and lugging around heavy boxes. I'll miss Former Temp, my nice office and the ability to work without being interrupted constantly by the phone, deliveries and staff people wanting this or that--right now. Such a bummer.

But at least I have a job. My friend SLA was fired from her job on Tuesday. She had called me late in the day. Actually at the same time poor Former Temp was getting let go by BZ, but I didn't know that for sure then. SLA called me later at home and asked me to come over. The story is surreal, SLA was fired over a man, her family got her fired "because they care about her" then called the police to have him arrested and her locked up. And I thought I had a disfunctional family, good grief! The police didn't arrest him, nor lock her up and her family was very disappointed. She hasn't heard from them since then. Yikes!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

And the beat goes on ...

I'm glad you're employed but wish you had a happier situation.

9:49 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

OMG! Poor SLA. Favorite Co-worker should be the one to get into trouble for not supplying the correct passwords to those who need it to do their jobs.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Wouldn't it be cool if SLA ended up with Temp's old job?

4:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the damn office politics goes on....

6:17 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow....your poor friend! With family like that, who needs enemies, huh?

Well, I hope things get better for you...it sucks that you'll have to sit out front again...I personally DO NOT like dealing with the public or a whole bunch of other co-workers. Not that I don't like people, because I really do...but there's just SO MUCH backstabbing that goes on here, I'd just rather not even get involved!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Wow! Are they going to replace the former temp? What excuse did they give her for letting her go? I thought she was a favorite of everyone there.

As for SLA...dang with family like that you sure don't need any enemies. I hope she's ok.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Office politics are such sticky wickets, you know?

I only work part time, but teach at a university. I have to share a desk with another person and I swear, you would think that this person was the unabomber the way that he hides things and locks everything up (even his pencils!)

9:32 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I hate being interrupted all day by the phone and people....ARRGGHH. I used to work in Admin doing accounts rec/pay, pay roll, all financial reports etc, practically everything required to run a child care centre AND I had to man the desk and phone. How I was supposed to concentrate on figures and do complicated financials while constantly dealing with trivial phone calls I don't know. Scabby bastards made me do the work of 3 people and the Director just swanned around flapping her gums all day.

End of story, I told them they could pay me the salary of 3 people or it was sayonara and adios. Bet you can guess where I'm NOT working now...lol.

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home