Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A tiny act of rebellion

Well, here it is Tuesday already. Yesterday was interesting at work. It was BZ's first day back from a two week vacation. Those two weeks had been bliss at work. Well, as much bliss as one can have when people aren't talking to me, but about me! I have a daily check-in with BZ when she's in the office. Lately she has been having the Former Temp's check-in at the same time. I'd really rather not have a witness to BZ's scolding me about this and that, but she thinks it saves time to "do" us both at a time. The funny thing is that she almost never has anything for or to say to the Former Temp, just to me. So FT really is just a witness, most of the time. I used to be FT's boss--so it was awkward the first couple of times, but now I am resigned to it, as I am to most everything that goes on there at work. I do still dread those daily check-ins, though.

During the check-in I was interrogated about several things that happened last week, explained one and was told, "No, that couldn't be. Go check again when we're done here." So the morning (the check-ins are early, right when BZ gets in, usually) had a typical start and continued from there. Later all day long I was getting phone calls from our Accounting Department asking about this and that bill or contract. So I had a lot of looking up and figuring out to do! The main person from the Accounting Dept had just come back from vacation recently, too. But those calls are all pretty typical for a day at work. Oh, and I did go back and check that again and I was right, of course. For all the good it did me!

Then the Acctg Dept had a question about an area of our convention finances. I only handled the registration portion of that, and a little with the exhibitor booths, but not at all in the area she was asking. BZ was quite busy because everyone wanted to talk to her, so I emailed her a short note explaining what the Acctg Dept needed to know and offering to do a particular thing if it hadn't been done yet. BZ and Favorite Co-worker had been the ones to do that certain financial part of the convention.

Well, it won't surprise you to know that the reply was not at all helpful! BZ emailed me back, "You should know the answer to your question." I could feel the stress rising but in a weird way it was pretty funny too. Why would I ask her if I knew the answer? And more importantly, how could I possibly know the answer to something that she and Favorite Co-worker did, I'm not a mind reader. Later when an Acctg Dept person called me again I gave her that as a verbal reply and then forwarded her my note with BZ's reply. Yes, that will probably come back to bite me! As BZ has been in trouble many times (but not recently) for her treatment of her underlings.

Anyway, despite the fact the nothing is any better since this weekend (still haven't re-listed the house, the real estate agent I spoke with was reluctant and thought I should "hang on" for three years until the housing market gets better!) I feel much better again. I think the tiny act of rebellion helped that!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

BZ sounds like a real b*tch!!! That would make me crazy!!!! You've got the patience of a saint! :)

8:12 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I agree with Stacy...what a witch! I don't know how you put up with it but I really admire you doing so.

8:59 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

I'm emailing my response.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I really aren't a violent person, but I would SO like to lead the mission to napalm BZ. REALLY I would!

That woman is pissing me off no end.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I admire your ability to carry on with that kind of toxic atmosphere at work.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

It is those tiny acts of rebellion that get us over the hills.

I say...ROCK ON.

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah..I would've handled it way differently....and gotten into a lot of trouble for it!!! Ha...good job on that situation...

10:36 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Hello PB, I've seen you round the blogs so thought I would pop over and be nosy.

I'm with everyone else. That BZ sounds like she needs a kick up the wazoo. That is workplace bullying and nothing surer. I just did a post myself on bullying.

I would have done exactly the same as you once but nowadays....not so much. Nowadays I would be giving it straight back by the shovel load. Good Luck to you, you have my sympathy. It makes life a misery when you have to work with bitches like that.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

I know you need your job until you find something better but I would still tell BZ to go f*ck herself and have done just that to bosses.
No repsect for me they get none back.
The nerve of her to say that to you and to insult you infront opf someone else.
Maybe she has crotch rot and is rotting her brain to if she has a brain, sure as hel she doesnt have a heart.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home