Thursday, March 01, 2007


Well, here I am on the new blogger. It's an hour and a half before I have to get up and get ready for work, and I've been awake for hours. Not a good time to deal with the changing of the blog. Since I was lacking sleep from the night before, I had decided to go to bed relatively early last night. But that didn't last for long. Son came home from work before I fell asleep. He was getting ready to drive to his girlfriend's place, a two and a half hour drive under winter advisory conditions. He was rummaging around to get ready, plus I really did want to talk to him before he left, since he'd be gone for a couple of days. The weather was concerning me, but he thought he'd beat it, and then wait it out down there until the weather turned better again.

I did manage to fall asleep after he left, but was awakened by a 1:00 A.M. telephone call. He had gone into the ditch only about an hour's drive out. Guess the weather beat him, instead. So after all of that, I just couldn't get back to sleep, so got up and then the new blogger thingy struck!

So I've had like two hours of sleep, tops, and now am going to try for the remaining hour and a half!

LATER: OK, I actually got another hour of sleep. I don't know how, as I was waiting for son to call me back. He finally did, ten minutes after he arrived at his girlfriend's apartment. And I got to hear the story. He was traveling at 70 MPH (on the freeway), lost control and went into the ditch, blowing out a huge area of snow that even came back on to the freeway. He was lucky that he was not hurt, and me that it was him calling and not a State Trooper.

The roads had received a freezing drizzle in that area right before he passed through. After flying into the ditch, he had to get out of the car and walk back to an exit. Then walk to a gas station, which luckily was open at that hour. The local firechief, who is also the towing guy, pulled him out. Son was wanting to just stay but it was too cold to sit in the car and there weren't any hotels or motels nearby in the area. So he pressed on, at half the speed, and after several hours, finally made it there. Whew! And yes, I'm so tired and exhausted that I wish I could just wait this day out, and go back to bed.

Labels: , , ,


Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow...that was scary! I HATE those late late night/early morning phone's NEVER good, you know?

And believe me, I hated the new Blogger thingie too...but you get used to it, honest you do!

Hope you get to bed nice and early tonight and catch up on some rest! :)

6:46 AM  
Blogger BikerCandy said...

I'm really glad your son is ok. That is so scary! I agree with Stacy on the blogger thing too. Eventually you get used to it. I think I can type my username and password in my sleep now!

7:13 AM  
Blogger Maria said...

Well. What a scare. And I know bad weather. We are having us a big bad blizzard in Nebraska and everything has shut down. I am a total coward in this weather (probably because I have a rear wheel drive). I often wonder about young people. My neighbor's teenage son was getting in his car when I was out today righting my trash cans. I asked him what he needed so badly that he was out in this weather.

"Um...I thought I would go get a burger," he said.

I swear they think that they are immortal.

11:55 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Yikes!!! Glad everything turned out okay, I'm sure he will be slowing down from here on out.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

He is lucky it wasn't more serious.
We have had some freezing rain here and its best staying in at home.

I hope you get s ome rest over the weekend :)

6:18 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

My son used to drive a big doubledecker car hauler all over the States and i was always worried about getting that call from a State Trooper---didn't, but not because he didn't have any accidents; he always stayed awake long enough to tell them not to call home....

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home