Sunday, February 25, 2007

Snowed in

We're snowed in today. The Sunday paper hasn't even been able to make it. But I'm calling about it as soon as I get offline. We haven't had a lot of snow this year and it looks like we've forgotten how to deal with it. The roads aren't plowed yet and there are no snowplows out yet. I saw a jeep having a lot of trouble driving DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD while I was out sweeping the deck in my bare feet. So at least 4W-drive vehicles can make it, sort of. I'm planning to walk the two blocks to the gas station to buy the paper, as the coffee is ready and I want to read the paper! It may have not been delivered to the gas station yet, either, but I'm going to check. I'll have to wear actual boots out there instead of the tenner-shoes I normally wear for walking outside. And a coat, scarf and mittens.

Yesterday was fun with my Mom, we went out for lunch and then went shopping at the thrift store. She found loads and loads of books, I found two small stacks of books (like I need more!), a couple of blouses, including a pretty one for my Mom. I also found a like-new t-shirt for son. Mom didn't want to go to the "Music and Lyrics" movie that I've been trying to get to for the past week. Good thing it's still in the theaters. So I stayed and watched part of a TV movie with her and then went to the movie theater alone. It was worth it, what a super movie! I want to own it now, so sweet and funny, just the type of movie that I like.

Son and friends went to see "The Bridge to Terabithia" and he said it was not like they thought, just about an imaginary world but very much a tear-jerker. In fact he told me the story and I was in tears without having seen the movie. Not a good one for me to see in public. I cry over regular stuff let alone a movie like that. And there was an article in the newspaper last week that the movie was taken from real life (but fictionalized).

After the movie I went to the dollar store to get dish soap for work. Yes, we can order it from the supplies catalog, but it's outrageously expensive, and I spent a dollar. Well, actually I spent more than that, picking up things for the house. I was going to go grocery shopping but decided to call it a day and go back home. Now, I wish I'd done that one last step! But probably I can find something to cook, with all the canned food we now have in the cupboard. Maybe the "Lorena Bobbit" casserole with chopped up hotdogs and tomato sauce. It's really quite good even though it doesn't sound like it would be.

OK, now I'm going to get some coffee. I hope it's not like yesterday when the pot made horrible weak coffee again. I don't know what the trouble is, first thought maybe the piping was getting clogged as I do put a LOT of ground coffee in there to make a pot! But I've been very careful and there seems to be no particular reason why it makes a good pot of coffee or a bad pot. So far it's still a mystery. Hope a good mystery today! Have a good one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Wow...you and I have something in common: thrift and dollar stores.

I have in my possession a first edition of Walt Whitman's Leaves of Grass that I got at a Salvation Army store! I had it checked out and it is worth nearly a 1000$..so quite a deal since I paid 80 cents for it. I also find lots of clothes at thrift stores. I like swirly gypsy skirts and apparently no one else does and is getting rid of them.

I go to the dollar store often for things like dish soap and floor cleaner. I am amazed that they have name brands for one buck. I will never spend good money for house products again.

We had snow here too....but live near a theater, so are going to see Blood Diamond.

Enjoy your day!

11:57 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Coffee sometimes just takes its anger at the world out on individuals. And I just bought a faux-fur coat---a very European-looking one at a Thrift store. It makes me feel so smart.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home