Saturday, February 03, 2007

A long trip and a talk

We survived the funeral and the long trip to there and back. The roads were slippery and the weather was cold. My older brother drove the entire time, both ways in his nice cushy car. Mom and I had blankets to keep warm but didn't need them until the trip back.

The funeral was very sad, of course. His wife (my aunt, and my Mom's sister-in-law) had only died last January, so January has become a bad month for them. Not many of the family were there but many other people came because he was a WWII wounded vet who had received a Purple Heart, had been on the City Council for years, active in his church and in many other organizations. His middle son got up and had a long eulogy of telling touching and funny stories about his Dad. He did really well and barely choked up while speaking, but sobbed once he sat down again next to his wife and they started to play a really sad song. I had to shut my eyes or I would have started crying too. I always cry when I see other people cry.

My brother stopped at my place once we'd dropped Mom off at her apartment. He actually liked my lasagne (which is a compliment, because his wife is an execellent cook!) and we both enjoyed two Tom and Jerry's and two beers apiece. That was enough to get to talking and we had a really good heart-to-heart like we hadn't had for a long long time. He's not happy that our favored younger brother ended up with my parents entire 80 acres of land. He wanted the back 40, and I kind of wanted at least 20 acres. We loved that land. The ironic thing is that Mom sold it to him for such a low price that we could have afforded it, too, but didn't know that until after the fact and it was too late.

The Living Green Conference is today. So soon I'll head over that way to attend various workshops and seminars and meet up with people that I don't see much anymore. Normally on a Saturday I'd go get Mom for an outting but we're doing that tomorrow, watching the Super Bowl together. I still need to go grocery shopping to make food for it. I already made and baked some ginger snaps and have a bowl of fudge cookie dough chilling in the refrigerator to bake when I come back home. Hope you have a great rest of your weekend!


Blogger deni said...

Funerals are always tough, but I am glad you had such a nice time with your brother!

Enjoy the Super Bowl tomorrow! I am going to try and stay awake to watch it.

4:19 PM  
Blogger magicfingers said...

Welcome back. I'm glad your back home safe and sound. I'm a worrier when it comes to traveling. I guess it is good I don't need to travel much.
Good long talks within a family are a great thing. I think every family could benefit from more of them.

8:01 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Yeah...funerals are a trial for ones emotions that's for sure. I haven't blogged about it...but Mr. Sumo did well at his father's funeral. But when they did the final fire engine call...there wasn't a dry eye in the room. That's when it finally hit me. I was happy to read that you and your brother had that talk...good for you guys.

3:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gentle hugs to you for the funeral...ginger snaps make a lot of days brighter, too. : )

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home