Friday, December 08, 2006

Leaving on a jet plane

Well, it's Friday at last but I'm not going to have a full weekend. I have to start travel for work on Sunday morning for a big event in Washington, DC on Monday. I love DC, but have only been there twice. The last time was last year and it was a work trip, all work. I didn't get to see anything except (as I always say to envious friends and family)through the plane windown, the cab window and the hotel window! They think I'm joking, that I can secretly steal away and go tourist-ing. I'm not joking or exaggerating, but that's why they pay me to travel, to work, not to have fun, sightsee or vacation.

I still have lots to do for this trip that's only a day away! And that little time will be cut into by spending Saturday with Mom. I still have to go to the bank and get a wad of cash for tips, etc. But my main problem is SHOES. I have several dressy pair but none comfortable enough for standing all day for 15 hours. I may need to make an emergency shoe shopping expedition. This time of the year isn't a good time to have to do that with all the Christmas shoppers. Also I need to get those little 3 oz bottles of everything and put them into a quart plastic bag in my suitcase because of carry-on restrictions. Can I still bring apples in a suitcase now? They're my breakfast before a long day and sometimes late dinner, too. And oh, I'm not sure which blouse will go with my best suit. Hope I don't have to go on an emergency blouse-shopping mission, too, yikes. I think I've been in denial about this impending trip!

When I first started traveling for work I was amazed at the things I couldn't just go out and buy once I had arrived. For one thing, there's no extra time, and for another, hotel gift shops don't have things like apples, my favorite shampoo, the right nylons, or shoes! They do have GIFTS though! So I'm going to (try) to pack light so I can fill my suitcase with stuff from the hotel gift shop. My friends and family loved when I gave them knick-knacks from my travel for Christmas last year. It was a big hit unlike my normal have-no-idea-what-to-get-them Christmas gifts.

So I'll be gone and non-blogging until about Wednesday or so. Have a great weekend and a good start to next week!

11 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Have a great trip. Can't you get apples from the hotel breakfast that's usually provided as part of the package?

8:35 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Oh wow. I can't imagine ANY shoes that'd be good enough for standing around for that long!
Hope this trip to DC turns out better than last time.

2:38 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Have a good trip

I have tagged you

3:10 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Have a good trip...and take care on the plane...don't sit next to the lady that has body function problems...

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good trip. Hope it's not all work and you get to have some fun.

8:53 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

Have a great trip and for your Christmas present this year, I hope you can sneak in some sight seeing.

7:29 AM  
Blogger magicfingers said...

You sound like you need to stop and take a deep breath.
I sure hope you don't really have to stand around that long......
Be safe and hurry home.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Hey PBS, hope everything is going well and you're not too cold and your feet don't hurt!

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your trip goes well and you finished lots of prezzies. I'm linked you, let me know if you wish to be un-linked.
Cheers

6:57 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

Have a safe trip and who knows you might meet someone that gives foot massages "wink"

2:40 PM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

Enjoy your trip.

8:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home