Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Alternate Routes

Yesterday was the first day of our new temp at work, so it was a busy day and went by quickly. I was on my way home when, almost too late I saw the huge lineup of stopped cars--all the way across the interstate bridge! It was slippery and there had been an accident up on the bridge. The truck in front of me took the very last possible exit before getting into that mess and I have them to thank for pointing the way.

I quickly did the same and tried the next freeway ramp, it was also blocked. I drove to the other side of the city on regular streets to take the other interstate bridge to my now-not-so-new home state. By the time I was finally approaching home I was thinking, bet it took me longer to go all the way around than it would have taken to just sit in the lineup and wait for the traffic to move again. But no, the first bridge was still clogged when I passed within blocks of it to go home. Do you look for an exit when trapped in traffic, or just wait patiently?

At home we were nearly out of milk and bread but it was already cold and dark. I didn't want to walk and didn't want to drive to the nearby gas station for supplies. Guess we need to get out the shovels and clear the sidewalks. Once again we are feeling the effects of a corner house--sideswalks from both angles, lots of shoveling! Every house I have bought on my own in town has been a corner house, all three. When I was married we had reasonable, middle of the block houses and rental apartments. I must like the look of a corner house, only one close neighbor, lots of room and open space. What sort of house/apartment are you prone to choose, middle houses/apts or corner lots?

6 Comments:

Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

hubby has sat nav so we would go around it, but on our usa road trips we stick with it, otherwise we'd get totally lost, but many a time hubby is really late because of an accident on the motorway...

and maybe they didn't eat your cranberry bread because they are atkins freaks...???? i would have loved a slice, sounded yummy...

and i've only had one house and we are right in the middle...

*hugs*

5:51 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I think I'm a bailer...meaning I look for escape routes rather than just sit it out. Sometimes it works out, sometimes I end up just screwing myself around.

I've noticed a trend in my housing also. I tend to find houses on a dead end street. I guess I like no traffic on my street. I got to thinking about it and since adulthood I have lived in a cul-de-sac about 5 out of the 6 houses we have lived in. Not necessarily on a corner but definitely on a dead end street.

8:57 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I would rather drive for 10 more minutes or whatever than be stuck in traffic. I have NO patience. Or very little, anyway! :)

11:51 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I always seem to somehow get stuck, and I'm never able to try a different route. Ahh the joys of traffic!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Traffic jams are no fun; it's almost always good to escape them.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I take a deep breath and wait...unless there's an escape route really close lol I think my house is a middle lot, built up lol

re the post below. I was always taught to eat what was served up regardless of where I was. I honestly think that your co-workers were mean and rude. You went to a lot of trouble to bake that bread and it sounded delicious. I'm sorry they were so unappreciative.

If I'm having people over for dinner, the only 'special' thing I'll do, is ask whether they're allergic to anything. I wouldn't want to serve up something that might have them rushing for the emergency room later in the night! lol

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home