Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Turkey: I almost won

OK, this is really old news by now. Reading about Rainey Pete's gasoline win reminded me that I promised to tell you how I almost won a turkey, a week ago.

Of course it all started when I was driving to work, like most of my weekday stories start. I was listening to my favorite radio morning program while driving over the interstate bridge. I was in a great mood for going to work, because last Wednesday was the "Friday" of the week, we weren't open Thursday or Friday.

The two DJs on the radio were joking around with callers and playing music, but also trying to get people to come to the station to win a turkey. They said they had 100 turkeys to win and all that one needed to do was stand below their third floor window and catch one. They recommended bringing a laundry basket to catch the (frozen) birds.

I thought it was cute and funny but didn't think too much more of it until I was driving towards the bayfront area, where our office suites moved on November 1st. The DJs started talking to the people who were bridged by our famous aerial lift bridge, telling them to get out of their cars and catch a turkey. I suddenly realized that the radio station was across the street from where I parked my car for work!

I sped up and could see the crowd standing below a building window. The DJs were yelling down to the crowd to "watch your heads" and "get ready". Over the radio the male half was gasping about how heavy the box was as he was lifting it up to the window. I parked my car and started running across the parking lot.

The third floor window opened wider, a basket appeared and tilted over and....slips of paper came drifting out! The crowd leaped and grabbed the pieces of paper, which were coupons for a free 12-13 pound turkey. Despite my sprinting, the paper and most of the crowd were gone by the time I reached the sidewalk below the window.

The female half of the DJs was on the street with headphones. She was on the air when she described my mad, futile dash and said to me "sorry, they're all gone". That was it, it was over that fast and no turkey for me. But later I was sort of glad I hadn't won, or at least not as sad. I didn't have to cook a turkey this holiday. Have a great day!

5 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

They must have been watching WKRP reruns. Thankfully, they didn't use real turkeys -- live or dead.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Frederick said...

Always on the Sunny side, always on the side...

10:11 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

I'm with AC, here.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

-Les Nesmond-

3:23 PM  
Blogger gal artist said...

While I was reading that, all's I could think about was getting wcked in the head by a turkey. Ouch.

Well, at least you tried!

6:53 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Good for you anyway.

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home