Monday, December 04, 2006

A long to-do list

Well, I had a good but too short weekend. How was yours? I took my Mom out on both Saturday and Sunday and so didn't get most of the many things I was planning to do at home. Like hanging the Christmas lights, cleaning, putting hay on the garden beds, finish painting the shelves, changing the bulbs in the front yardlight (need tools and a ladder), grocery shopping, Christmas shopping, Christmas cards and some other stuff. That's a long list of undone stuff! So what, exactly did I do all weekend?

Well, I did the laundry, recycling and garbage, and lots of dishes throughout the two days, so did accomplish a few chores this weekend. And baked two small loaves of cranberry/orange nut bread for work. I don't know when I last baked anything. Oh, well maybe I do. Guess that cornbread I made wasn't too long ago. The bread is called a "quick" bread but it really wasn't all that quick. It took time to chop up all the cranberries and walnuts, grate the orange peel and then juice three oranges. It took an hour to bake, too. Hope it turned out OK. Today we are supposed to each bring a bread for the staff meeting. I'll bet that some people will forget or "forget" to bring theirs! Monday is kind of a bad day to remember stuff like that.

Did a few, very few chores on Saturday morning and then had to go to the library to return videos and books. I stayed there just long enough to find a few more, about ten minutes, then went to pick up my Mom. We went to the 10th Anniversary of the Artist's Coop. It's a large old school with living spaces and studios for the artists. I have wanted to live there since it opened! My Mom has sold her artwork in the past, so she was interested too.

Well, the building was interesting, but not very accessible. The front had steep stone steps so I parked in the back but the (accessible, no stairs) back door was locked. Another woman drove up as I was trying and of course she couldn't get in either. A guy who lived in the building luckily came by and let us in. I had to run to catch the door as he said he couldn't wait for us. So that meant I couldn't help my Mom walk up to the door, but she did OK. The other woman parked and came so I had to hold the door open for her, too. Then we walked quite a long ways, down basement hallways until we came to the elevator. It was locked. To go upstairs was two flights of stairs and to go back was the miles of hallway. My Mom decided she'd try the stairs. She got upstairs OK and we did some looking around then took the elevator (which was unlocked at that level) to see studios on other floors.

On the top floor was the most beautiful studio ever! The black and white photo in the morning newspaper didn't do it justice. It was a huge space, with huge windows overlooking the lake. A circular "gallery" was up above. My Mom was pretty tired by that time and the artist invited her to sit while I went upstairs to look in the balcony. The other studios were great too, but none as fabulous as the one on the top of the building. My poor Mom was worn out by that time but didn't want to leave yet so she sat in the reception room listening to the live music. I only looked at a couple more studios and then came back, so as to not leave her sitting alone too long.

As I was coming back an apartment door opened and a tiny woman dressed as a belly dancer came out. Four children came out the door with her, too, the two little girls also each wore a coin belt and a pretty sash. I said something to the oldest girl (probably about 4 or 5 years old) and she swayed her arms and shimmied for me to shake her coins. It was cute. Soon after I rejoined my Mom in the reception room, the family started setting up music and taking off their shoes. My Mom enjoyed the belly dancer most of all. Her kids sat in the front row and when she went out into the audience to dance for individual people, her pack of kids followed her going, "Mom" "Mom" it was adorable. She tried to get the little girls to come out and dance too but they stood wide-eyed with their thumb in their mouth at the large audience, bright lights and cameras. The woman who sat next to us (who lives in the building) said that the woman teaches belly dance every Tuesday night. I wonder if her kids are all there in class too?!

On Sunday I picked Mom up to go to the book signing. It was a classy event with a man pouring beverages and a string quartet. There were quite a few other local authors but I found the one I knew, bought her book and had it autographed. My Mom found a book at another table which she bought and had autographed as a gift, too.

Well, the long list of to-do's are still undone and there is a long list at work, too. We're having an open house in about two weeks! There are still ROOMS full of boxes to unpack and put away, somewhere. Guess who's doing all of that? Well, off to work to get started on the week. Have a good day!

6 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

Well you may not have got your to do list done, but it sounds like you had a nice time.

6:45 AM  
Blogger katie said...

That bread sounds fantastic! Leaving the chores undone seems okay, seeing as you had so many interesting things to do.

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you are always so busy! You wear me out just reading about it all!! Please save me some bread it sounds lovely! Sounds like you had a lovely weekend. x

2:43 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

It actually sounds like a great weekend. The loft thing sounds so cool. That is one of my fantasies, to live in an Urban Loft.

3:23 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

The belly dancer sounded lovely, especially the wee girls that followed her around lol

I'm always leaving the chores undone, it's habit and the fact I hate doing 'em that stops them from happening lol

Once again you've been so busy you make me feel like such a lazy old cow! The fact I truly am one, is bedides the point lol

4:00 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Ooooo your bread sounds delicous :o)

Your list is shorter than mine!

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home