Sunday, December 03, 2006

Isn't seven a lucky number?

An old friend called me at work on Friday. She didn't have my new home phone number and it was the only way she could reach me. She hasn't seen me for awhile so asked, "What's new?" Now that could have taken up a lot of time I should have been working, but I gave her just the highlights. The main item being that I have moved seven times this year.

No, the math isn't off. I moved again this past week. Remember that when we moved to the new office suites and building that I (temporarily) had a private office? Well, that ended on Friday when I had to pack up my stuff and move to the front desk. The front desk is new and beautiful but I quickly found it there are no cubbies, storage or hiding places for my work. It's a gorgeous desk meant for a pretty person to sit and answer the phone, greet and direct visitors, and maybe write appointments in a schedule book.

My job isn't like that at all. I do travel, mailing and accounting work with lots of catalogs, books, envelopes, forms, mail, timesheets, receipts and stuff. Lots and lots of different sized papers going in and out, in other words. Paper that is all right out there in the open on an open expanse of desk. It looks terrible, cluttered and messy despite my best efforts. The Boss is not going to like how it looks. I'm really very neat and organized at work (not necessarily at home, though!) but the desk doesn't reflect that. In order to keep it looking neat I'd have to sit there and do nothing.

The desk at the former office was tall with a large shelf overhang. I could push what I was working on under the overhang to conceal it. Also there were shelves with doors and other great spots to store books and catalogs. It wasn't a pretty desk but so much more functional than the one I have now. Who would have known that I would think back on my former front desk fondly?!

Well, here I am thinking of work on a Sunday! Typical of me, though. Today I'm going to a book signing of a woman I met through work. She has a great book on John Deere tractors that I'm going to buy and have autographed for my nephew's son. That will be one Christmas present, only about 33 more to buy and wrap! How are YOU doing on the seasonal activity of Christmas shopping? Oh, and there's Christmas cards to get out, too. I was going to make my own but since it's already so late, maybe not. Have a great Sunday!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not doing to well & my mate leaves for Hong Kong next week for 3 months I need to get her birthday & christmas presents! oh no!!!!!!

12:18 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

PBS, you sound so organised you put me to shame!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Walker said...

Chritsmas shopping sucks more than a hoover vacume but all the rest is good.
Maybe they will bring you some cabinets later.

2:00 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Haven't done any shopping yet. Just do the best that you can with the desk and if BZxinfinity says anything...tell her exactly what the problem is. Don't take blame for something you can't really control. Maybe they'll listen and do something about it. Yeah...in a perfect world!

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home