Friday, November 24, 2006

Thankful to Julie & Bobby (and a day off)!

Hope you had a great Thursday, Thanksgiving or not. I did. This was the first Thanksgiving that we ever went out for the big meal instead of eating it in. If I just got to sit down at the table and eat, or even just set the table, a big meal wouldn't be so bad. But we start cooking at 7:00 in the morning and do it for long, hot, sweaty hours before the magic time of 2:00 PM rolls around.

I like the turkey, stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberries, sweet potatoes and the rest and the leftovers too, but really really hate cooking them. And it's always Mom and me doing all the work while the rest of the family just show up to eat (and maybe help with setting the table or doing the dishes). If I really enjoying cooking, it would be fun. But I don't, so it's not fun.

This year my Mom would probably have done what she did while living with me, sitting in a kitchen chair and directing all of the cooking action, no thanks! Luckily for me she was easily convinced that going out might be a fun thing to try. Plus, neither of my brothers and their families were coming up so it was just us three. Well, it turned out to be us four, as my son asked if his girlfriend could come too.

She has spent a lot of time at our house and is a really sweet girl and I love her. Even my Mom (who just met her for the first time) liked her, which is saying quite a lot! We went to a neighborhood restaurant called "Julie's" and when girlfriend asked who was doing the cooking (she thought it was a family sit-down dinner) we told her "Julie". Luckily she has a good sense of humor, as I don't think she's ever had Thanksgiving dinner in a restaurant before either.

The food was great, even pumpkin pie for dessert was included! Girlfriend had to leave early to attend a regular sit-down family dinner out of town. Son decided that a movie might be nice so we three went to see "Bobby" which I cried most of the way through. It's an excellent movie, very well done. I hope I'm not giving away too much to say that it isn't so much about the history of Robert Kennedy as much as it is about how he affected the people around him. The movie was full of great actors and was so well done that I really cared about the people, even though I know they all (except Bobby, of course) were fictional characters. An excellent choice by son and a watch-worthy movie. Go see it if you haven't already!

Next time I gotta tell you how I almost won a turkey on Wednesday! But then I'd would have had to cook it...so maybe it was all for the best. I have today off from work! A day off! Yay! Wahoo! And....I could keep going. It's really nice to still be here on the computer after 8:00 AM instead of at my desk working. I love it. Have a good day and a great weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger gal artist said...

I'm glad you had a nice Thanksgiving, I ended up cooking, then all the clean up, then I slept for about 3 hours, and had to go to work last night and work 12 hours after being glutted with all that turkey. sleeping would have been so much better.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I remember years ago we all went to a restaurant for christmas dinner. Had never done that before but it certainly has the upside of none of that sweating in a hot kitchen all day. I try to avoid that most of the time let alone at this time of the year lol

Only downside is no leftovers for the following day lol

Glad you had such a nice Thanksgiving :)

7:51 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Good for you. If you don't like the fuss and the mess, going out is a great alternative.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

I am glad that you had such a good time.

1:21 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Glad you did the dinner thing the way you did...very smart. It was lousy here again. MIL forgot to get the turkey on (she's loosing it) so we ate really late. The next day she complained that we wouldn't do X-mas with everybody because it was too much for my FIL. All he did was sit there. Of course she wouldn't allow help with anything...therefore she worked herself into a tizzy...her fault. I could just tear my hair out. That is why I drank beer and didn't care about anything. Her food sucked.

3:35 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Sounds like a great dinner! I'm really looking forward to seeing bobby, everyone I've heard from who has seen it really enjoyed it.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home