Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Feeling like a ballerina

The trip is over and I’m back. It may have been only a couple of days duration but seemed ever so much longer than that. As always, with any type of travel, there are a lot of big and little things that it will take several days for me to think back on and gather my thoughts. Some highlights, if one could really call them that, were:

-The large, used hypodermic needle lying on the airport restroom floor, and the look of horror on the incoming lady’s faces as they gingerly walked around it.

-The 50-60 F degree weather and pansies (flowers) still blooming in Washington. It was like stepping back a season in time, very nice and balmy.

-A late night room service cup of fruit in which every piece I tried (five in all, I was really hungry) tasted like mold. You’ll be happy to know that I didn’t swallow. This tasty meal was listed as $9 but had a delivery charge, and 20% added to that, then taxes to total nearly $20.

-Walking walking walking and standing standing standing all day, every day. I felt like a ballerina. You know, the painful bloody feet in toe-shoes challenge.

-The really cushy, wonderful hotel bed. Wish I could have taken it home with me, we were a perfect match. I wish we had spent more time together.

-A hotel gift shop the size of a small closet. But that didn’t really matter because it wasn’t open anytime when I was back at the hotel. So much for that great idea….

-Not enough food, water, sleep or most horribly—coffee, for all of those days. Yes, I still have the headache from hell as a trip souvenir.

-Dashing through the airport (remember O.J. before the “not guilty” doing that old commercial) to make the connection to get home.

-Waiting for nearly two hours (in 34F weather with only a sweater, good thing the batteries were still working to listen to some lively music to keep warm) for son to pick me up from our home airport. It was nice of him to volunteer, but, um, I wish I’d known it was going to be two hours so I could have made other arrangements, like maybe WALK home with all my stuff. I think I got from DC to Minneapolis faster than that! On second thought, I guess waiting was much better than walking and they don't allow pedestrians on the interstate bridge.

Well, that pretty much sums up my trip. As you probably can discern, my friends and family really needn’t be envious of my paid travels for work. It certainly feels like it ought to be a Friday today and not another work day. And how has YOUR week been so far?

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Welcome back to the tundra. :)

10:45 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Gross!! A needle in the middle of the floor? Don't they have proper needles disposal bins. I would guess it was for a diabetic or something rather than a drug addict, but still. Not good.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Sounds like the best part of the trip was the bed you got to sleep in...hooray for comfy beds! lol

My week's not been TOO bad, but I'm sure ready to have a christmas break. After all the crap with the applicances etc in this house and then getting them all fixed, the bills are now just starting to roll in...guess that means I'll be fighting with the insurance company..or not (hoping for the latter lol). I woke up yesterday to hear the dishwasher beeping it's arse off...now the dang thing won't drain! *sigh*

Glad you're home hun, and after reading your post, I daresay you're pretty happy about that yourself.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

You know your trip sounds like so many of my work trips, with the exception of waiting for a ride home. (I leave my car at the airport these days for that very reason!) The thing about it is that people that never travel for work think it's so glamorous and it's all wine and roses...when in actuality it is anything but. I am glad you got a comfy bed. That almost makes it all better. I love those "heavenly beds" myself.

As for my week, don't ask. It's not been one of my better weeks to be sure.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

PBS: I hope you had the hotel take that spoiled fruit off the bill! I have a good friend who lived in DC and said is was a fascinating city. I took a "Twilight" bus tour of the Capitol sites but regretted missing The Tomb of The Unknowns. The Vietnam Memorial was very emotional. The Hyatt has my vote for best cushy beds though! Bloody shoes reminded me of Anne Bancroft and Shirley McLaine in "Turning Point". Cool post!!!!

12:41 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

Ewwww....the fruit! You did ring them back and demand they take that crap away and you wouldn't pay for it...right? You can complain and they have to comply...the customer is always right!

4:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home