Friday, November 17, 2006

Are you dreams still valid?

It's Friday today, the best working day of the week! I'm not going to recount any dreams for you today. Although they were interesting, and... OK I won't go there however tempting.

I went out to dinner with a good friend. At least I consider her a good friend even though we seldom see each other. We had an interesting talk about the book I mentioned yesterday. That conversation segued into daring to do our dreams, which turned into, what ARE our dreams anymore anyway?

Ever feel like that? Like life keeps you so occupied, busy and distracted that you aren't sure what, if any dreams you have left? And are the dreams that you used to have still valid. As a child and teenager I dreamed of living in the country, raising dogs, writing a book, and living simply. Although those sound like they all might fit into each other to make a life, they all were separate dreams. I did all of them, sort of, and they weren't as satisfying as I had though they would be. At least they weren't a stopping point for me in that I wanted to say, "Yes, this is so great that I want to do it for the rest of my life." Basically I tried each of them and then moved on.

And then there were the other dreams of starting my own business, having a bookstore, running a daycare that I spent much of my spare time figuring and dreaming about how I could make it work and how wonderful it would be.

It's funny but in hindsight evaluation, the daycare idea, which was one of my favorites, wouldn't have worked for me. I'm just not into noise, clutter, commotion and dealing with lots (or any) small demanding children! What I liked about that dream was planning the toys, games and environment for the kids. Really, I wanted to educate them and make their life better, not just take care of them. But running a daycare would be mostly just taking care of them with just a little of the rest thrown in. In other words, I wasn't looking at it realistically. True of many of my dreams.

We had that discussion last night and each came back to the original question, well then what is/are my dream(s)? And isn't it intesting that night-time experiences are called "dreams" too. So a book about following your dreams could be about doing the wild crazy things that you dreamt about last night---or, the big goals (sort of aligned with the "How to Be Good" theme) of how do you want to spend your talents and interests.

OK, I'm done now and ready for coffee. Have a good Friday and a wonderful weekend!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

My dreams were all about how I wasn't going to be ordinary; how I would somehow distinguish myself. I'm still working on them.

8:41 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

My dream was to be (several things) an archaeologist...especially in Egypt. I've studied hieroglyphics and love all things Egyptian. I always thought I'd get to go there and see the Pyramids...but with the problems in the middle east...I imagine that is out.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Dreams are fine. When it comes to puttng them into preactice then you must never underestimate the practicalities and time involved.

I lve dreaming and imagining

8:08 AM  
Blogger angela marie said...

I do think that I am living the dream I had for my adult life (but with less money that I had dreamt about, LOL!).
I also dream about having my own business, but I think that I underestimate the work and money involved.

8:14 AM  
Blogger glomgold said...

Maybe if you could be a superintendant of daycare facilities then you could plan all that stuff without having to deal with all the screaming kids.
I dreamed adulthood would be a boring waste of time. So far, so good!

10:10 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I haven't been remembering my dreams well lately. Odd.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home