Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Life tricks

That meme should have been enough blog writing for the entire week! I was thinking of going back, dividing it into fifths and writing in Monday, etc. Or, still dividing it into fifths, re-post a section every day. I doubt few people read through every bit of it. But then again, was it really worth the time?

Anyway, I was at the library last night returning books and sat down with two magazines. They both have rather expensive subscriptions, so I read them for free at the library.

"Wired" had an intriguing article about Urawaza, a word I'd heard before from gamers. But this article told more about life-tricks and such. Hope this link works as I've not tried to put a link in my posts for a long time. It seldom works despite much checking and rechecking to see if I've written it correctly.

If the link doesn't work, just go (google) to the "Wired" site and find the article. It's worth it, who doesn't want to learn how to run faster or write on a T-shirt?

Boost Your Life the Urawaza Way from "Wired"

(I think I need a Urawaza for putting in links...) This just won't work and, speaking of, it's getting late and I need to leave for work.

Here's the article, which may make you want to see the tricks:

Martha Stewart might be able to show you how to make the perfect centerpiece, but let's see her school you in using a rubber band to run faster. For that, try Ito-ke no shokutaku (The Ito Family Dinner Table), Japan's weekly how-to TV show that combines the spirit of productivity blog Lifehacker with the manic energy of Deal or No Deal. Cohosted by P-ko, an anime PC, the show challenges contestants to top one another with urawaza, or "secret tricks," a concept that became popular in the '80s with gamers swapping tips for beating Super Mario Brothers. One minute, someone is demonstrating a way to improve your bowling score; the next, a guest is showing a technique for keeping Band-Aids on your finger. Ito-ke is in its ninth season on Nippon Television – having spawned an entire industry of recipe books and practical guides – and is gaining a US following thanks to YouTube. The urawaza may seem unbelievable, but all have been proven effective in front of a live audience. Here are a few of our favorite tricks.

7 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

When you want to make a link, go to the page and copy the address. Then paste it in to your link code.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

WoW what a meme that was yesterday. Loved your answers. I can imagine that Urawaza will become addictive.

3:30 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

I did copy the address and then added (also copied, because I don't have it memorized) the < a stuff and all of that. Still, my links seldom work despite my checking and rechecking. If I have time I'll mess around with it some more.

There WERE some cool videos about Urawaza, but now they're gone.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That sounds interesting..I'll have to check it out.

I need all the tricks and tips I can get! :)

6:49 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

"Urawaza." Oh the things we learn here on your blog, PB! I'm going to check out the "Wired" site now.

11:34 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I will have to look at that site. I used to have a hard time with links then a freidn helped with it, it's hard to explain tho.

Thanks for reminding me that I needed to take my books back to the library.

:)

2:31 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

An interesting and provocative post. And I have some videos to take back...and some magazines to buy.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home