Saturday, September 16, 2006

The rejected deject

I'm crushed. Got home from a long week of week and found a skinny letter in my mailbox. It was from the company where I'd interviewed, and, you guessed it, it was a reject letter. When I first took it and the stack of mail into the house I wondered and hoped that it was not what it appeared to be. Then, when I let the dog out I sat, took a deep breath, and opened it. It was short, polite, and a form letter.

I was a dejected reject, or is that a rejected deject? Anyway, I was pretty depressed about it at first. Despite the fact my current job has been much better lately, I would have jumped at the chance to switch jobs. This position was within walking distance, paid better and sounded oh so interesting. So why was I not the most qualified for the job? It was a very good fit, I had all of the attributes they desired, and more. Did I not communicate that fact properly to them? The interview went great and seemed extremely positive.

But there were other things that I communicated, without using words. I was overdressed for the interview, for one thing. They seemed quite casual and the rule for interviews is to dress only one step above the normal office wear. I was decked out in a brand new expensive suit and shoes, not so cool. Also, and I hate to keep saying this but I think it may have been a factor, I was LOTS older than any of the other women there. Anyway, they didn't want me. That stings. The company where I currently work barely wants me either; I truly felt like a rejected deject.

So I ate a handful of peanuts and an apple for dinner and read more in the PI book and Marilyn Ferguson's "Aquarius Now: Radical Common Sense and Reclaiming Our Personal Sovereignty". That last book cheered me up as it had a weird synchonicity with my blurb on stories, posted earlier this week. The most unlikely pairings can have a certain, same pattern. That's why I read more than one book at a time, there are weird connections and I love that!

There is an Urban Garden Tour happening later today. Have a great weekend!

7 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

OH PBS I am so sorry that you got that letter. I know how desperate you were to move away from your current postion. Keep looking there will be something out there for you.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

"Another book that is only halfway done is "Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom" which is quite interesting. Much of the material has been kindly covered by some of my favorite bloggers(!) but the book basically tells us Americans the differences in behavior, and especially, language between the two places"
oooo please tell us what you have found out. I think it is really interesting

7:59 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I've been there too. I have also been on the other side once or twice and always felt badly that I couldn't hire everyone. ((hugs to you))

9:30 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Well, I was among those cheering for you from the sidelines, PB. Sometimes though, not getting what we want can turn out to be a real blessing.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Aw, so sorry you missed out on this one. I reckon that means the best is yet to come for you. Keep your chin up, we've all been down the rejection highway before and look at us now....WE'RE ALL FABULOUS! lol

And so are you...keep remembering that.

(and like Fizzy, I'm interested in hearing more about that book too, it sounds fascinating..in fact I might just have to go out and buy it myself.)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

{{{{{{{ PBS}}}}}}}
Something bigger and better will come up.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Things happen for a reason, but it's still hard not to feel dejected. Peanuts and an apple were a good choice; I'd have smothered them in chocolate and chased them with Kahlua.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home