Friday, September 15, 2006

new hairstyle and some reading

I'm all storied out for the time being. At least for telling them, making new stories and reading stories has been good, though. Speaking of reading, I'm reading the usual weird mix of books, and may or may not actually get through them all.

"By Myself" by Lauren Bacall is the book closest to finished. I just got through the part about Bogie dying of cancer, great timing, on my Dad's anniversary. The title is somewhat ironic as Bacall was never alone or "by herself" but constantly surrounded by helping people from an early age! Now I'd like to watch some of the movies she wrote about in the book.

Another book that is only halfway done is "Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom" which is quite interesting. Much of the material has been kindly covered by some of my favorite bloggers(!) but the book basically tells us Americans the differences in behavior, and especially, language between the two places.

Then there's Marilyn Ferguson's "Aquarius Now: Radical Common Sense and Reclaiming Our Personal Sovereignty" I find her a bit hard-going and only am a third of the way through that one. It's the kind of book that I take notes in my journal about, it's basically "a blueprint for the future".

"Boundaries in the Mind: A New Psychology of Personality" is interesting, but I haven't read very far into it yet. Another book that requires notes.

Of course I read some lighter books, and am pretty far into "Too Darn Hot" by Sandra Scoppettone. It's about a woman PI set during WWII and reminds me somewhat of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. It's more delightful, though, especially the slang that the main character uses. I'll be looking up more books by that author!

So, what have you been reading lately? And it's Friday, finally an end to this long, very busy week. Happy Friday and weekend!

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I have 10 books on my bedside table PBS,i have read a certain amount of each of them LOL....i can't help it, i see a book i like and then i MUST have it! Of course in my office i have a bunch of academic books that i am reading also, i need more hours.
Happy Friday to you!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

You read all those books at once? I could never do that...although I have always wanted to!

And I think that Rules, Britannia would be a cool read....I've always thought, "You know, before I go to a different land, I'd want to know the do's and don't so I don't offend anyone!"

7:31 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I don't know how you can read all those books at the same time. I'm lucky to get through one at a time and there are times I'm not reading anything at all. I'm jealous!

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just finished Buried by Mark Billingham & have started on Closers by John Connolly (or is it Michael Connolly, I get them two confused!) I can only manage 1 at time but I am trying to read Sheila Hancock's autobiography about her & John Thaw when I get a free minute!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I can't read more than one book at a time. How do you do that? I'd be mixing up story lines lol.

I've just finished reading "Falling Leaves" by Adeline Yen Mah and am now reading "Break No Bones" by Kathy Reichs.

I've read through this post a couple of times now and still can't find any reference to a new haircut (except in the title), am I going blind?? lol

1:55 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

so, what about th hairstyle?

9:19 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I'm reading about the Druids.

3:47 AM  
Blogger PBS said...

RE: "new hairstyle" HB2's comment is a good clue!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home