Friday, September 01, 2006

Open house

I came home last night with the (heavy) two desk tops that I scarfed up from the office next door at work. They were just throwing them out and neither son nor I have a decent computer desk, so I took 'em. It was a mini adventure getting them to the jeep (I park up the hill, remember) into the jeep, and actually into the house without any help. Yes, I'm kind of a packrat, it comes from being so poor for many many years.

The first thing I do when coming home is to let my little dog out, she's been waiting since son left for work. He's started school this week and leaves the house very early. We let the dog out the back dog, on a chain, well, it's not really a chain but one of those light, long plastic rope-things.

The house felt funny, different, when I first walked in, but I was sweating from dragging those two heavy desktops around so it didn't really register--until I went downstairs to the basement to let the dog out--and our back door was open! I don't mean unlocked, I mean wide open!

I already had walked through the upstairs and the basement, but now I started looking in closets and hidden corners and up in the loft. It was like one of those cheesy horror movies where the people go into the attic, down to the basement or wherever and you're saying to yourself, "No, no, don't go there!"

But I'd rather be checking out the house than be sitting and eating dinner, or sleeping at night and be confronted by someone who had got into the house. Anyway, I didn't find anyone and everything appeared to be still there. Our back door is hidden unless someone is walking in the alleyway. But many people do walk back there, plus did my little dog go outside, loose, all by herself? Bet she did. And we have major traffic on the road next door and a bus stop across the street.

But I found out when son came home early, at 6:00 p.m. (normally it's more like midnight or later) that he'd stopped home around noon. So that means the house was only open for five hours, what a relief (ha ha). But it could have been so much worse. Well it's Friday, so have a good one and a great weekend!

11 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I woke up to both the front and back doors being left open this morning. But neither are that easy to get to in the first place, so I don't worry about it much.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

My word! How frightening that must have been, to search the closets for an intruder. Glad it all turned out well.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That's really creepy eh? I've sleep with the front slider wide open before (not realising because it was a still night and the curtain was pulled across in front of it, doh).

And I'm one of those that always yells at the screen "Nooo, don't go there, don't go looking!"...but I know that being in a similar position to you previously...I always go there myself...it's like we just have to!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Pirate said...

I was yelling, "Get out of there. What re you doing?" But it wasn't michael after all.

7:10 PM  
Blogger BarbaraMG said...

I have left doors unlocked all night and I live on the busiest road in the city. It always freaks me out when I discover it the ext morning. Thankfully I have an alarm so if anyone did come in I would wake up.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

"and our back door was open! I don't mean unlocked, I mean wide open!"

Ok that would freak me out! Thankfully all turned out well.

Have a great weekend~

8:55 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

OMG PBS! LOL, i hope you carried a baseball bat with you!

1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a close shave. Glad no-one got in. Have a great weekend.

6:14 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Very scary PBS!
I am with you on the desktops. We don't have a set of dinning chairs, we have a set of six office chairs all different colours lol. A family memeber works at a huge institution where they throw so much stuff away that it is criminal - we have little desk tables as well!
I hope you had a good weekend

1:45 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

wouldn't it be great not to have to wrory about that? And I thought cheesy horror movie the minute I realized you were alone in the house....glad you came to no harm. Maybe someone came in and left you a gift...you just haven't found it yet.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i'd have been totally freaked out, was your little dog still there...??? i'm glad nothing bad happened, stay safe

*hugs*

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home