Friday, August 25, 2006

Now there are eight

Poor little Pluto has been demoted to a planette instead of a planet! Well actually it's now called a dwarf planet and there are only eight classical planets. Time to change the textbooks! I can relate to the feeling of being down-graded, after being demoted from Researcher/Librarian to Receptionist!

Below are parts of a transcript from The World Today:
Clyde Tombar discovered the celestial body through an Arizona observatory in 1930. Overnight though the International Astronomical Union decided to downgrade Pluto to the status of dwarf planet.

But his family says while they are disappointed, the astronomer himself would have been philosophical about the decision.

Conor Duffy reports.

CONOR DUFFY: 93-year-old Patsy Tombaugh still lives in the home where her husband Clyde Tombaugh stared up at the stars until his death in 1997.

Pluto has figured large in both their lives, in fact some of Clive Tombaughs ashes are now onboard a spacecraft bound for the former planet.

Patsy Tombaugh says it'll take her a while to get used to the demotion.

PATSY TOMBAUGH: Well, its very confusing and difficult to get on the square with it, because it's been 75 years and that's a long time (laughs), now I have to get used to the idea that it is a dwarf planet.

CONOR DUFFY: She says the decision to strip her husband's planet of its status is disappointing.

PATSY TOMBAUGH: I feel like I've been demoted or lost my job (laughs), my job was being the wife of the discoverer of a planet, not a dwarf planet, its really kind of a catastrophic change for everybody, I think.

CONOR DUFFY: Clyde Tombaugh was just 24 when he discovered Pluto at the Lowell observatory in North Arizona in 1930.


Some things just shouldn't be tampered with, in my opinion.

The interview went well, details to follow...I'm busy writing multiple thank-you letters! Have a great weekend!

5 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

They need to leave poor Pluto alone!!!

It will always be a planet to me...I learned the order of the planets when I was in like 2nd grade...now I have to change that?

No way! :)

6:30 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I've heard that scientists are now looking into the validity of Santa's reindeer. They are thinking of removing the reindeer status of Vixen as it is thought that Vixen is actually not large enough to be a reindeer.
There is talk of reducing Vixen's status to that of a common deer.
When will this scientific insanity end..

Anyways, Woohoo on the job interview..

8:45 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I refuse to accept any text that does not recognize Pluto as a planet. I'm lumping that decision in with Intelligent Design. We are monkeys, there were dinosaurs, and Pluto is the 9th planet in our solar system.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

poor pluto, it will always be a planet to me too...i hate change

have a great weekend

:0)

2:47 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

A planet?!! I thought Pluto was Mickey Mouse's dog. Oh dear. Now I am confused.

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home