Wednesday, August 30, 2006

work work work

It's great that it's midweek already today and I've only worked one day! Too bad every week couldn't be like this, except then I'd get used to it and complain about working four days, I guess. Human nature.

Yesterday went well. The temp did OK despite the fact she didn't even open my E-mail with instructions for Monday (when I was gone) until Tuesday! She's a hard worker with some common sense so even though she makes a couple of errors now and then, and who doesn't, she's a big help to me. She is anxious to know if we'll be hiring. I hope so, but I'm not the one who decides, is what I always tell her. And that BZ said we'll be needing her at least until December.

I, of course, am hoping to have another job by then, before we do the big move. But don't have a lot of hope for the great job for which I just interviewed. It's true that they said it will take weeks for them to decide and hire because they're also hiring several engineers. I can wait, but am afraid they may not pick me, I'm just so much older than the workers I saw there. They're an innovative and growing company who may not want to invest in a worker who looks like they have most of their working years behind them. Oh how I wish that was true! My latest social security statement thingy said I must work until I'm 70 years old or more, a long time off.

My Mom retired young from the railroad. She wasn't a lot older than I am right now. She received full RR pension plus a huge buy-off to leave early. She worked hard her whole life but really lucked out there. Things have changed in the work world since then. I would want to do something though, working as a temp part time or volunteering a little would be interesting, if I ever am retired from the "real" work world. Well, off to the real work world. Have a great day!

5 Comments:

Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

ugh i can't imagine working till 70, i thinks its the same here, although by the time it gets to me i think it will be nearer 80...!!!

we need to start a plan to rob a bank together...lol

and its my friends babys christening coming up, looking forward to it in some ways but then not in others...

have a great day...

:0)

7:20 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I used to have dreams of retiring at 55, yeah right! Now, I'm hoping to retire at 65...which is still iffy at best.

So, here's to us...the older working crowd in a sea of younger people. I understand, I'm the oldest one in my group too.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

You should send them a note reminding them that every business needs an older worker. For balance or something..
I'm still hoping you get the job..

11:36 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

My mother retired early from BS, but I don't see that happening anytime soon in my life. I think those days are gone.

1:00 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

I'm still crossing my fingers for the other job.

4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home