Sunday, August 13, 2006

Your Favorite Deadly Sin

As I mentioned, briefly in a prior post, I’ve been thinking about the Seven Deadly Sins quite a lot. Not experiencing them, necessarily, but reading stuff online about them, thinking and writing. So what are these Seven Deadly Sins? Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth.

First after discovering exactly which sins were included, I was wondering why, exactly, they are called “Deadly” sins, is this the same as a mortal sin? The definition that was given is because they are transgressions that are fatal to spiritual progress. So I thought about that. Yes, I guess so. Getting hung up on one or more of the seven would not a spiritual person make. (how’s that for an awkward sentence?)

Various unnamed sources went on and on about how doing one of the Deadlies is the start of a habit, the second time is easier, the third time easier still. And before you know it, you’ve got a nasty habit, of say, Sloth. Hmm, it made sense to me, for sure. Human nature does seem to work like that.

There were interesting correspondences too, like The Deadlies versus The Virtues. Here’s the lineup:
Pride vs. Humility
Envy vs. Kindness
Gluttony vs. Abstinence
Lust vs. Chastity
Anger vs. Patience
Greed vs. Liberality
Sloth vs. Diligence

OK, I had to look up Liberality to be sure of the exact meaning, it’s charity or openhandedness, which makes sense opposing Greed.

Then there were other correspondences with the Deadlies. Quick (without peeking below)
What’s your favorite color?
What’s your favorite animal?
What’s your ruling planet?
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---


Pride: horse, violet, Sun
Envy: dog, green, Moon
Gluttony: pig, orange, Jupiter
Lust: cow, blue, Venus
Anger: Bear, red Mars
Greed: frog, yellow, Mercury
Sloth: Goat, light blue, Saturn

So have you discovered your primary Deadly Sin(s) or at least your favorite Deadly Sin? Denny, at "My Anything But Normal Life" takes confessions.

Note: I was going to title this post “All About the Seven Deadly Sins” tongue in cheek, because I HATE when something claims to be “all about” a particularly subject. It couldn’t possibly be about or including every single thing about that topic. Calling something that one writes “All About” a subject is an empty, idle boast, maybe the sin of Pride, eh? (That would be a violet horse....)

8 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Great, i chose Mars, red and cat, of which two = Anger!!
I AM NOT Angry!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Dale said...

Red, Mars, horse. I guess I'm a prideful, ... Hey! I'm not angry. STOP SAYING I'M ANGRY OR I'LL COME OVER THERE AND ...

Oh. Jeez. How embarrassing is that?

9:59 PM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I was thinking of a red martian penguin. There are no penguins in the seven deadly sins so maybe I'm only 2/3 angry?

12:40 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

How did Lust get to be associated with Cow? Anyway, I choose all of them because I like Uranus (except for all the jokes it engenders), dark green, puppies, and evil. Wrath is definitely my hobby.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

pride and lust showed up, I'm proud to say...

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue Dog Venus 2 of those = Lust!

This post is cool!

2:08 PM  
Blogger katie said...

Purple monkey earth. I guess violet is purple, so I suppose Pride is my downfall.
I was pretty sure it would be gluttony!

2:55 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Anger would have to be mine...I only wish I could have gone off on some co-workers from the past...but I held it in and was professional. I do my best to not think of them...ever!

4:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home