Friday, August 18, 2006

It sounds good

Oh the concert was so wonderful! And I could hear it again (for free, by ushering) if I wanted to, but we're planning to go to a regional fair on Saturday. I'd not been in the fairly new Weber Music Hall on the university campus. When I mentioned the concert to a co-worker who's into music, he became very animated and told me that the little music hall is one of the acoustically best in the U.S.!

So I looked it up online and here's an excerpt from a university Web site:
Pelli, who designed UMD's stunning new, acoustically exceptional Weber Music Hall, and whose architectural masterpieces are located through-out the world, was awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters for cultural contributions. In 1991 Pelli was named one of the ten most influential living American architects.

Upon completion of Weber Music Hall-calling it "his little building," Pelli said, "I am extremely proud of Weber Hall. It will prove to be the finest small concert hall in America. The experience of the space is as exhilarating as the music being played in it." Cesar Pelli, October 2002.


So I got to play hostess at this "little gem" (as everyone calls it)of a music hall. Mozart's opera is in Italian but they had an unobtrusive screen with the translations. During the intermission the cast members were laughing about the translations, "That's not what we're singing!" they said. And it's true that they would be singing and singing and a single line of translation would appear!

I was hostess of the balcony. So when the patrons were seated and I shut the doors, I got to sit in the front row balcony. Someone had told me that it was one of the best seats in the house last night. When I looked up information online, sure enough, in most music halls the front row balcony seats are the best acoustically. So I learned something valuable for future reference!

Oh it's Friday today, thank God! The concert lasted until pretty late and I'm already drinking coffee in what will be a long coffee-filled day. Tonight I'm going out with SLA and friends to a country bar. Have a great Friday and an even better weekend!

5 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

The concert sounds good. I should check into volunteering at events. Free sounds good too.

How did the Masters Degree session go. Are you still thinking of getting your Masters.

Have a good Friday and weekend..

8:25 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You got a high -- up there on the balcony.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I'm reminded of my days as a Scout when our troup helped park cars at a rodeo in exchange for free admission. When we finished, we tried to go inside but some of us were denied entry. I don't know their criteria, but they allowed a few in and when they protested and said the rest of us also helped park the cars, the gate rednecks said "Now we don't know that" and turned us away. BTW, I was wearing my uniform at the time. Fecking idiots.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You lucky girl! It all sounds great, have fun at the fair.

What happened re your Masters?
Have a super weekend :o)

6:02 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Just got caught up; volunteering has its benefits, doesn't it? Keep us updated on your decision about your degree.

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home