Tuesday, August 15, 2006

An example of a Deadly Sin

I've been too busy to read more about the The Deadly Sins lately. But I want to find a Web site that uses more old-fashioned terminology. Anger, for example, sounds--well, rather mild-mannered and not passionate enough. And Rage, as in road rage is too chaotic and out of control. Road rage is, and isn't really that. Things get out of control but it's also very calculated, as a sort of revenge. I used to suffer from road rage, or rather other people suffered! I finally got it under control when I realized that it was only a matter of time before I ended up suffering too!

An example: My last episode of road rage was when we still lived in the country and I had to drive into work from there every day. It was in the early winter and the roads weren't that good. A red van pulled out right in front of me and then poked along. As happens in cases like that, normally I allow a lot of extra time but that particular day I was running late, of course. I turned on my lights and tailgated them even though I hate when people do that to me. I took every chance to try to pass them on the busy, slippery road and when I finally did, rolled the window down and gave them a, um, digit. Those were fighting words, so to speak, and the red van which had been poking along sped up and tailgated and tried to pass me. I didn't allow them to pass, speeding up and slowing down accordingly. Finally, when they were out in the other lane and there was an oncoming car, I didn't budge an inch. They ended up on the shoulder of the road to avoid a head-on accident while I went merrily off to work.

Well, not really so merrily as I realized what a close call we (the three cars involved) had had and I was also afraid the red van people might call the police. Later, in the Police Academy, I found out that people often DO call the police for stuff like that. And that the police, at least in my new state (the episode was in the old one) track down and stop the offenders.

Anyway, this was a long story just to give a simple example, but my point being that Anger didn't really describe my feelings for the people in the red van. Rage probably a bit closer, but I'd like to call it Road-Wrath and hope I don't ever get caught up in it again.

Do you have any good examples of one of the Deadly Sins in action?

5 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

I practice lust every time I eat at Umezono, but their portion sizes aren't big enough to include gluttony.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Walker said...

About 14 years ago in the middle of the nigh someone cut me off and I peeled around him and got in front and returned the favor.
He must have been a little pissed because he glued himself to my ass at about 80km Now remember it was pitch black out. Up ahead there was a car parked on the shoulder so I lined myself up with it. It was about 2 blocks away and sped up to about 100 and the GF was screaming and freeaking out but I wasnt listening.
He was still on my bumper and the car parked ahead was getting closer.
THe gf was hysterical next to me but I brought the car within 6 feet at 100 and swerved left fast.
The guy behind me had no time to stop and drove right into it.
Hows that for road rage

5:14 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

mmm deadly sins, i think i've broken a couple...i'd like to explore dantes inferno in more depth, the circles of hell and whatnot...i must try and find a book

and my being sick is random so hopefully not pregnant, i think its something i ate...

:0)

2:43 AM  
Blogger sumo said...

A good example off the top of my head...would be Dick Cheney.

2:58 AM  
Blogger Ms Mac said...

I think my passion for George Clooney would cover a couple of them anyway!

You make sure you get that road wrath under control, it can be dangerous. You never know what kind of lunatic you giving the finger to and how they're going to (over)react. Just my little bit of unasked for advice for the day! ;-)

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home