Monday, July 31, 2006

Vanquishing the grass

Well, it was a really good weekend. Hope yours was too.

I applied for the other job, the one that's a block and a half away from home. I have no idea of the pay scale though, probably not enough, most jobs aren't. I also conquered the front garden. I went out with a hoe and a scratcher tool but the neighbor came over with this really amazing garden tool. It's a weird thingy with two handles on one end and a square of sharp spikes on the other. Although it took brute strength to rip up the sod, it was much faster than the hoe. I'm awfully sore this morning but it was worth it. There's actually a garden in the raised bed at the front of the house now!

The neighbor said I could keep the tool for a while, so I'm going to tackle the biggest (and only undone) garden in the back. Just not yet, maybe in a couple of days! The rain we've been having really helped as the soil was even harder to get through before. There were huge piles of grass and grassroots when I was done. Now you can see the couple of flower plants that are still alive in the garden.

I also met SLA and Houseguest for breakfast early yesterday morning. They both work nights and were just getting off work. We exchanged work stories. I mentioned my situation and that I'm looking for a new job, but didn't go into it all at length.

Another week, and very soon--another month. Have a good day, even if it's a Monday!

8 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

Sounds like you have good neighbours. Good luck with your garden, I know that you enjoy it.

Happy Monday to you too, it is really humid over here and it has taken me ages to write a post as my PC lost it all and I had to start again.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Although a bit sore, you probably feel pretty good for having worked the work.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Sounds like you and the neighbors are getting along well...that a good thing! :)

And I think it's against the law to use the word "good" and "Monday" in the same sentence! ;)

8:42 AM  
Blogger Rainypete said...

Nice neighbors definitely make life easier. Sounds like that garden weapon is pretty slick! Despite the exertion, there's nothing like the satisfaction of knowing a job is done (or nearly, at least).

9:31 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Hmm. I may have to investigate this tool that you are talking about, sounds pretty handy.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I will never, no never, touch another garden tool in my life, and I am so grateful. That space is being taken up by blogging, books and beverages....

2:57 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Success in the garden, lovely! Bout time you had an enjoyable weekend :o)

1:54 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i'll keep my fingers crossed for your about the job...

and i know the tool you're on about but i can't think what its called...

glad you had a productive weekend...

*hugs*

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home