Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Where's Shelby?

I had a weird dream last night. Well, maybe not so weird. It was one of those story dreams that I often have. In fact I used to take some of my writing from those kind of dreams.

In the dream I was looking to settle down in a different town and came to Shelby. I think there's a Shelby Tennessee, but the people in my dream didn't have the accent. They did call other women "honey" which I find rather friendly and sweet, not offensive. They were hiring for some large plant, maybe some sort of garment industry (I might have gotten that from the socks, Deni!) and the pay was good. I was talking to two women in a little field office type building and they seemed very friendly. They said they were loading up the bus to take the regulars to work. There was an entrance exam to get hired, and then it was OJT.

The little field office was messy and cluttered. One put a test on a already quite full table, the other woman offered me some ice cream with melted fudge on top. It was hot out, so I took the ice cream and could hardly stop eating it. After a bit I asked, "When can I start on the test?"

The women both smiled in an agreeable manner, "Oh anytime, honey."

So I realized that I'd better get cracking on the test, but it was difficult to stop eating the ice cream and concentrate. Also people were starting to get on to the bus. I did a couple of the questions on the test and found them difficult. The test seemed to be mostly math, not my strong suit.

"It's so hot in this office, why don't you finish the test on the bus, honey. It has air conditioning." one woman told me. It was too tempting to pass up, so I took the test and the pencil and went on the bus.

On the bus were many friendly people, it was hard to concentrate and I ended up talking to many of them. I was very excited and happy about living in this new town and having such nice co-workers. After a while the bus was filling and I realized I still had a lot left of the test to do. I got off the bus to ask the two women how long I had to do the test. But they were gone from the field office, and you guessed it--then the bus pulled away, full of happy workers and I wasn't one of them.

As I was between waking and sleep I realized there were several morals to the story dream. One, was that I had been pretty arrogant about the test, thinking it would be a cinch, which was not the case. The second moral to the story had to do with temptation: the ice cream, the ice conditioning, conversations all getting in the way of what I had to do. My dreams often have morals to the story.

Yesterday was a brutal day at work. BZ announced my "relocation" at the staff meeting. Several co-workers offered to share their office with the two new people. So while nobody defended me directly, they sort of did by their actions. Unless they just felt like sharing their office with a total stranger, ha ha!

After the meeting BZ seemed flustered and came into my office to talk with me. She said that the relocation wouldn't be for a bit yet, and not to worry. But then she said one of the new people was starting on the 24th, so I'm still thinking that I'll have to move. And probably it will be a sudden thing, too. So I'll be cleaning and clearing files. I had been planning to start on that Monday but there was no time, I was very very busy. Happy Tuesday today!

9 Comments:

Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Wow...your dreams really do have many morals, don't they? Mine are usually just dumb!

Funny you posted about dreams...I did too (kind of!) :)

7:05 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Thanks for sharing your dream, PB. I rarely remember mine, and then only tiny fragments.

Moving! Again, but this time at work. Gosh, girl. You're aleways MOVING!

And one more thing: I'm puzzled by "OJT". "...and then it was OJT."
What's OJT? I'm thinking Orange Juice Time. LOL!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

Interesting dream...I think it had more to do with your current work problems. It's like you were left out, like left out in the open at work. At least that's how I would interpret it. But I do like the morals you got from it. I wish I could remember half of what I dream!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I just noticed the profile picture. Cool. Is it new..
Your dreams are interesting. I don't remember mine which may be for the best, tee,hee..

9:25 AM  
Blogger katie said...

Interesting dream. My dreams usually don't have morals, or really make any sense!

10:05 AM  
Blogger dan said...

wooohooooo!!!!

love your picture.

my dreams are mostly complete and utter nonsense.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Seems to me there's a Shelby, Montana. It's a border crossing or very enar one with Alberta. Yes, I just double-checked. Hopefully, this link, will take you to a google map.

1:36 PM  
Blogger PBS said...

On-the-Job-Training, Dale. Sorry about that I should have written it out. And I'm going to have to check Shelby out!

5:01 PM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

weird dream, i had one where i was being led thru dozens of different doors to an office with a strange man who'd being giving a motivational speech, we starting kissing and then i woke up...

and the other was that i was in the sea with my auntie and she saw an old diamond ring but wouldn't dive for it, i did and it was really old and worn...

i think the second dream is because I watched The Fog last night...i've no idea on the first one...lol

:0)

4:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home