Monday, July 24, 2006

The thrill is gone

Hey, it's Monday and the thrill is gone. Since you've asked for it, ha ha, here's the brief, sad summary of my time with this current job:

I started working at the place (where I work now) as a temp in May 2000. I was also working a 40 hours per week night job at the same time.

In 2002 I took a "real" job in the HR department of the ciy school district and quit the other night job. The school district was an eye opener at many levels. The main disturbing thing was that I worked for a boss who was certifiably crazy, had a breakdown shortly after I left. Before him, I'd liked and got along with every boss I'd had very well, we'd always have a good working relationship and mutual respect. He broke my long winning streak with bosses....

I only worked at the school district for 4 1/2 months and quit, before I did something crazy! There's nothing like a wacko boss to make working quite difficult and drive one almost as crazy as he was.

The first job (where I temped, and where I work now) created another position, especially for me--they loved me and wanted me back! Too bad that didn't last long...

I started at my new job just as the receptionist was suffering a lot of personal stress and family grief. I filled in at her job more and more often. We still had a temp doing clerical work, too. The receptionist was first gone for days, then for weeks and finally it was a couple of months at a time. I still had temps to help me then, though, and I was told my working both jobs was a temporary situation.

Finally the receptionist quit and we advertised the position and interviewed two good candidates. The day after the interviews there was a staff meeting in which everyone knew what was going to happen but me. They told me I would be doing the receptionist job permanently, they weren't going to hire anyone else. When I protested, I was accused of being a bad team member by all of my co-workers, even ones I had thought were my friends. The meeting took two hours and I had talked all the way through it. I found out later that they had expected me to walk out (and oh how I'd wanted to do just that!) which is why they had interviewed the two candidates first, just in case I quit.

So I was stuck doing both jobs, but the receptionist job is much more immediate, I couldn't tell a phone caller or an office visitor, "Please wait just a moment. I'd like to finish my research on this." And when they took the temps away from me which was shortly after that, my own job, the job I was hired to do, suffered.

So here we are to the present day, today, Monday, and today I'm giving up my office and my privacy to a person I've not even met. We don't even know her, and I've worked at this place for six years and have proven my loyalty and work ethic many times over. That's why I'm unhappy and bitter about it. I was hired as a researcher/librarian and now I'll be sitting at the front desk as the receptionist. You could hardly get more opposite than those two jobs. And all because I started helping out the receptionist who was having problems. Yes it's true in a work situation, good guys finish last while the mean, cutthroat people thrive.

It's a sad tale, but turned out to be not so brief after all! I've been hearing like stories from my friends. Do you have sad work tales like that?

9 Comments:

Blogger Fizzy said...

OH dear PBS, I am so sorry that this is happening to you. What a horrible horrible situation. After studying and working PT jobs I have now started my choosen career... in the last 6 weeks or so I have also experienced a form of work place bullying too. It is not as bad as your situation, but I have been told not to talk to anyone about my situation by the collegue who is causing hte situation!
Please look after yourself and we are here to support you

7:00 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I feel for you and sorry that u have to go through this. :(

Goodluck and sending postive wishes things will work out in your favor.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That sucks. I am so sorry to hear about the way all that came down.

I have a sneaky suspicion that, should my boss not get re-elected next year or he decides not to run again, they will relocate me to another position (if I'm lucky) or...I will lose my job and all my benefits.

Scary position, either way.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Terri said...

I think it's the same everywhere. The minute you do something to help someone out it becomes your job. For that reason alone I REFUSE to learn some things, for fear that it will become my job and I have my own job and my own responsibilites, I don't need to take on someone elses. I thought it just happened here, but apparently not! I'm sorry you are a victim of this very thing.

10:39 AM  
Blogger katie said...

It stinks that you were essentially punished for trying to be nice and helpful. I don't have any work horror stories, but I'm looking for a new job, and thats it's own set of traumas!

2:17 PM  
Blogger Martini Love said...

I am sorry you are having to deal with this!

6:29 PM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

I think you were royally screwed. It is true that if you do a job temporarily it becomes yours for life.
Every job I've ever taken on has been like that..

8:49 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

The nerve of them interviewing 2 others in anticipation of you walking...bastards!!

1:27 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

i don't blame you for being bitter, seems loyalty counts for nothing these days...

my manager didn't get his wages yesterday as the bank had inputted the wrong date, he was vile all afternoon and we were really quiet too which made him ignoring me even worse...

i hope they realise your worth sooner rather than later...

*hugs*

2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home