Thursday, July 20, 2006

How to make a simple thing complex

The musical was wonderful, I had forgotten how cool a live performance can be! Usher duty was fun, too. Events are my favorite part of my job at work, too.

My friend is the head of the box office, so she was very busy. A student gave us our tickets and assignments. I was assigned to stand at the ropes and take tickets, which doesn't sound too hard, and I pride myself on being a quick learner. But it did take me a bit to get the hang of which door to tell each person or group to go through. I had a little map of the theater but had not actually seen the inside, as the doors were locked before the show so the cast and crew could set up and warm up. So I was told to tear the ticket, put the stub into a box according to which side of the theater they were on. Then I was to inform them of which door. I was told Section Three goes in the door on the left and Section Five goes in the door on the right, so far so good.

But for the largest section, Section Four, small number were to go to the left, large numbers to the right. It was there I had some questions but nobody around to answer them, how small or how large, what was the dividing line? And the balcony had a system like that, too. I hadn't seen the theater and the map didn't show how many seats so I could divide them. I worried and stressed a bit about putting the stub into the wrong box and telling the people the wrong door! But otherwise it was fun to get to greet and talk to everyone as they came through! My friend picked the best usher job for me, I think.

Amanda and Anton said that they had NOT ushered before, I could have sworn that they had. They had done other things like hand out programs and take tickets (which were part of ushering at this event). I saw an ex-co-worker who was mistreated and left over a year ago who came with her friend to the show. She asked me how it was going and I told her, "not that well" and told her about the four people who were mistreated and two were forced out, who all left the company since she was gone. It probably wasn't a very positive conversation when I hadn't seen her for a year! She said that her new company is opening a branch downtown, wonder what the pay will be.

We had to open and close the doors for intermission and at the beginning and end of the show. Otherwise, we could sit together in the back row and watch. And I could see the show again, if I wanted to! This is a super good deal. But probably will wait for jazz, opera and some different things. I think I've got the seating arrangements down fairly well, finally, ha ha.

Have a good whatever day this is! Thursday, I think. It's been late nights for me twice in a row and I've not had my cup of coffee yet this morning.

12 Comments:

Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Any time I've ever volunteered it's always the way you described it. They kind of/sort of tell you what to do and leave you to figure out the details.
It's still fun though.
Glad you had a good time..

9:39 AM  
Blogger Fizzy said...

Sounds like you enjoyed it, even if a bit chaotic.

I have just read back and seen that you have been experiencing some high temperatures too. Phew we have been too!

It is lovely to see your photo on your blog and comments.

Happy thursday

10:27 AM  
Blogger Katya Coldheart said...

sounds like you had a great time, and i was going to comment on your photo yesterday but forgot, its fab...

*hugs*

12:27 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Sounds like fun...and I know all about that "simple complex" thing!!!

And I too noticed your new picture...but the way my days have been going lately, EVERYTHING seems to be slipping my mind unless it's right underneath my nose!!!

Great picture! :)

1:19 PM  
Blogger Just Me said...

Hey you stole the title of the book I'm working on :). Actually, it was Family: How to make simple things complex, I guess I'll change it now to: How to open the refrigerator door, when noone is there to do it for you.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Darlene said...

Hah, tell me about it. Sometimes I try so hard to do the best job I can, I end up doing just the opposite!

I can well understand your consternation--I would have worried about the same things myself. But I think in the end the odds are you did a great job, and next time you'll know to ask these questions ahead of time. And the odds are, those people you helped had a better experience because of your graciousness, and some of them probably commented to each other about it.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Godspell is fun---I love live theatre. Tonight I saw a commedia del arte production; unfortunately it wasn't very good, but it was live, and that's always really exciting.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Oh and I love your photo!

11:35 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Appears you had a great time...good for you.

3:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That does sound fun. Glad you enjoyed it!

4:45 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a great way to see some good stuff. Glad you had such a lovely night albeit a slightly stressful one til things settled down. Now that you're got the doors and boxes sorted you'll be able to go along and do that whenever they need you. Good for you!

(Btw, that was real spooky all the weird parallels down there with Blinds Lady...how freaky IS that? lol)

5:24 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Sounds it was well worth it, and it's super you'll have the oppurtunity to see other shows :o)
Enjoy your weekend PBS!

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home