Thursday, June 29, 2006

Goodbye to a friend

V-Man's beloved friend and companion, the puppy I gave him 16 years ago has died. He called me last Friday and told me to tell my son that if he wanted to see Dart again, he's better come down to the farm soon. My son worked until Tuesday, and V-Man brought Dart in to the vet on Monday. Dart was failing, couldn't get up and seemed distressed despite everything V-Man could do for him. My son had seen Dart a couple of years ago when V-Man and his girlfriend (now the ex who gave us the washer and dryer) had us over for a BBQ. That was the summer I was on that crazy 300-700 calorie a day diet and couldn't eat anything they had. Dart really liked the BBQ, as you can imagine!

V-Man lives alone and isolated on the farm. Dart was truly his friend and companion and will be missed. He was a good dog. Even as a little puppy he came with us on our early newspaper routes and heeled without a leash. V-Man's best friend went with him to the vet. They brought Dart back home and buried him on the farm beside his doggie friend Ren, who died about four or five years ago. I'll have to get out there soon, after the closing and moving are done, to pay tribune.

I actually found out about it on Tuesday, and this is Thursday. But it's been so hectic and crazy that I haven't had time to really process the fact. It's sad, really sad. I do hope there is such a thing as a doggie heaven, Dart has earned it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Ms Mac said...

That's very sad, always sad to lose a beloved pet. I'm sure there's somewhere for Dart to go.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said...

Sorry V-Man's dog died..

7:20 AM  
Blogger gal artist said...

I'm sorry to hear about Dart, it's hard to lose a pet.

8:14 AM  
Blogger Dale said...

Sorry to hear about poor ol' Dart. Cool name. I'll bet he was a cool dog. And a good friend. V-man will surely miss him.

10:03 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I'm so sorry about V-Man's dog. He sounded like a very good pup.

Btw- I read, "Breakfast With Tiffany: An Uncles Memoir" that you suggested. I really enjoyed it, Thanks!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

16 years is a good life for a dog. It's always sad to lose one, but it sounds like he led a good life which is all anybody (four or two legged) can hope for.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

It's awful when we lose our special critters :(
16 years wow, what kind of dog was he PBS?

5:00 PM  
Blogger sumo said...

Very sorry for Mr. V...may dog angels sing Dart to his rest...

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home